Classic Console Releases -- Ideas/Possibilities

Originally posted by ExCyber@Sun, 2005-03-13 @ 10:51 PM

Depends on what you mean by "accurate". I think Gens is actually more compatible than a Genesis 3 now...

[post=131432]Quoted post[/post]​

I thought the only things that didn't work with the Genesis 3 were Virtua Racing, the Game Genie, Phantasy Star I, the 32X and various cartridge copiers that use SMS mode (and of course the Sega CD, but there isn't even a connector present for that). Virtua Racing for Genesis/MD doesn't work in any of the current emulators. Phantasy Star I can be played in Kega Fusion, but not Gens (because it's really an SMS game). I don't think any of the current emulators support the Game Genie either (though they do support game genie codes). Since there are at least a few Genesis games that don't work correctly in Gens, I don't see how you can really say that Gens is more compatible (unless you count 32X games).

good read,racketboy...but like lordofduct once said,one can only dream

i'd buy anything SEGA you throw at me!

(this my first post ya'll,say hello 😀 )

Since there are at least a few Genesis games that don't work correctly in Gens, I don't see how you can really say that Gens is more compatible

I may have been underestimating the number of non-working games, but IIRC there is at least one game (Gargoyles) that works in Gens but not on a Genesis 3...

Ah yes, Gargoyles. That game depends on a particular 68K instruction (I forget which, maybe one of the TAS instructions) being broken. Apparently, they fixed this on the Genesis 3 so Gargoyles doesn't work. That game caused all kinds of grief for emulator authors until Steve Snake enlightened us all.

Virtua Racing doesn't work on emus because of the special on-cart chip. I wasn't aware that it didn't run on the Genny 3

Originally posted by racketboy@Mon, 2005-03-14 @ 11:11 PM

Virtua Racing doesn't work on emus because of the special on-cart chip. I wasn't aware that it didn't run on the Genny 3

[post=131539]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm pretty sure it depends on a few signals that aren't connected on the Genesis 3 cartrdige port. It turns out that some of these signals are actually there (don't know if the ones for VR are though), but disconnected. Spinelsun did some tracing on the Genesis 3 board and was able to get a Game Genie working by reconnecting a signal or two.

this is definately interesting, and imo, worth while, I would definately buy one of these if not all great idea.

Local mom and pop game stores are pain in the asses here. As noted above, the most sought after games cost a bit of cash there. When i needed an SNES fix, last month I had to drive around to find a SNES at a conceiveable price. I found several game stores offering them above 60 bucks. And several of those game stores also offering their games for more than 30 bucks. Normally I wouldn't care really, but it just drove me nuts when I saw a price list of games they wanted to buy from customers. One store would buy Tengen Tetris for 3 dollars, and they had a few for sale that were marked at 75 bucks.

Also, does it seem that the classic series on GBA is going down in price everywhere, or is it just me? I wonder if it's the fact that most no one would buy a single NES game for 20 bucks.

To get closer to the topic of rereleasing old hardware, I don't think there's a market for it.

As a gamer I own most systems, and I probably wouldn't buy it.

I think casual gamers would rather buy officially released emulated games for their new consoles. Buying a whole new unit is quite a turn off for most of these people. There is the niche market for people who don't own consoles at all. I would say it's the same demographic who seem to buy those ms pacman tvgames machines. I think it's mostly hipsters in their 20/30s who played arcade games in their youth.

In about 10 years, when I'm married, and my wife makes me put all of my games in the attic, I would buy 16bit generation tvgames type systems. Or maybe I'll just rennovate the attic.

Back