Classic Sega games coming to PS2

Originally posted by googlefest1@Dec. 06 2002, 10:12 pm

so my view of what happened was retailers catering to sony and making the DC look bad to customers

No retailer would purposely make a product they are selling look bad. Perhaps the staff in individual stores but as a whole, it wouldn't be in their interest.

Umm just to let you know major store chains regularly receive "incentives" from manufacturers to either make their products more prominent or to remove competitiors products. Sony has done this as well as Nintendo and even Sega back in the genesis days.

Well yeah, I'm not that naive
smile.gif
. But I doubt it's completely widespread and has enough power to kill a system.

You'd be surpirised just how much this affects things. Heck Sony has been known to pay stores to put the best games for its systems in the sony demo units while putting absolute crap in the competitions demo units. Not to mention telling stores that if their stuff doesn't get premium space they would reduce that stores supply of popular titles. The list goes on.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Dec. 06 2002, 12:59 am

You'd be surpirised just how much this affects things. Heck Sony has been known to pay stores to put the best games for its systems in the sony demo units while putting absolute crap in the competitions demo units. Not to mention telling stores that if their stuff doesn't get premium space they would reduce that stores supply of popular titles. The list goes on.

...in the same vein, NES' underhanded tactics in the 90s aren't even referred to, but are very similar, while MS' purchase of Rare is cried 'foul!'

In the Xbox I see the DC all over again. A great system, with some great titles, but it won't get it's due (and might/probably will face an unceremonious demise) simply because it's not the PS2.

And same for the Gamecube - no matter what they put on that system, it'll always be viewed as a kiddie system, even though games like 'Animal Crossing' are incredibly innovative (re: better than the Sims) and Mario Sunshine is incredibly fun.

I think with referance to all this, the Playstation and Saturn era is probably more where to look for the answers. If the Saturn had provided better competition to Sony in the West, people wouldn't buy a PS2 by default as they often seem to now. Obviously there's other factors too, but that's th eway it seems, here at least. For example, I live with a Danish girl and when she moved in she was pretty surprised to see the hefty load of games in the front room, not being into games at all. Can't remember the exact exchange when I went to pop a game in the PSX, but it went something like this:

Me: "Think I might play on the Playstation for a while.."

Her: "What Playstation?"

Me: "This one [points to PSX]. The Playstation."

Her: "Oh.. I thought they were all called Playstations."

I imagine there's quite a few people around who have a similar misconception.

This is kind of a long shot, but I think it's certainly possible that piracy has done Sony the world of good in the areas where it was widespread. Sure, in the short term it was a problem, but so many people bought PSX's because everyone and his dog could mod them, and they probably sold backups too. But in the long term, anyone who got hooked on games that way is bound to get a PS2 because of brand familiarity.

Anyways.. Space Harrier
biggrin.gif

In that light it's all so much clearer - PSX did not have any type of competition to speak of. There was PSX, ...and the others.

It's pretty interesting to note that both rivals in the 8bit and 16bit eras failed to make a delible mark in the 64 bit battles, totally due to stupid hardware decisions.

One can only wonder if the Sega CD and the 32X weren't released, and more thought were put into the Saturn, what would have actually transpired. If anything, Sega can say they were just stupid all along, whereas Nintendo, which had made some pretty sharp hardware decisions in the past, for one reason or another decided to stick with carts. There's no doubt in my mind if Nintendo had gone w/ CD media in the first place, they would have had a huge piece of the market.

Originally posted by Myname@Dec. 07 2002, 4:38 pm

Anyways.. Space Harrier
biggrin.gif

But just how are they going to 'enhance' it? ???

That word worries me a little.

Just the graphics and a few bonus things I think. I think it'll work well, since SH's gameplay was sort of 3d anyway, I can't see it suffering like a lot of 'updated' games have. And even if they mess it up, it's not like the original won't still be there. I just find i nice that the series hasn't been abandoned.

You're probably right. I was just concerned because I love this game and I feel enhancements to a classic rarely improve it. ???

Originally posted by Myname@Dec. 08 2002, 2:52 pm

And even if they mess it up, it's not like the original won't still be there.

That's why I love the Sega Ages disc.
biggrin.gif

I'm also planning on converting one of my many Enduro Racer boards to Space Harrier. I've never found a Space Harrier boardset that I've been able to afford.

Yeah, I'd love a Space Harrier cab. The in-progress MAME cab is no doubt the closest I'll get for a while though.

One thing I do hope about these remakes is that they include the ability to play the original too, so people who are new to them can get a little history lesson
smile.gif
. Maybe they'll get into retro games through it. You can only hope..

Originally posted by Myname@Dec. 08 2002, 6:34 pm

Yeah, I'd love a Space Harrier cab. The in progress MAME cab in no doubt the closest I'll get for a while though.

One thing I do hope about these remakes is that they include the ability to play the original too, so people who are new to them can get a little history lesson
smile.gif
. Maybe they'll get into retro games through it. You can only hope..

I nearly bought one, but it was in Queensland (two states north) and the thought of shipping it made me chicken out.
sad.gif

So what do I do instead? Bought a twin racing cab.
sarcasm.gif

Yeah, having the original SH in there as a bonus or something would be great.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by mal@Dec. 08 2002, 9:49 am

So what do I do instead? Bought a twin racing cab.
sarcasm.gif

Yeah, I was severely tempted with this the other week. My girlfriend had to keep telling me that overdrafts weren't made for arcade cabinets
smile.gif

Hmm... Daytona USA.

I'm planning on replacing the standard resolution monitors in my cab for dual resoluton ones and the first boards on my shopping list will be Virtua Racing.

Then a second Indy 500 board and a pair of Sega Rally boards.

Daytona will come eventually but the boards, when they come up, are hideously expensive.

That's once I stop buying model 2 games to be dumped for Nebula...
sarcasm.gif

Back