comments about NTSC-PAL switch

Hi everybody I have made a ntsc-pal switch and a scart cable and the result is great. Games look better in full screen and with the scart the image is very clear and the sound is in stereo.

But the image is not totally centered it is slightly on the left (just a little but i would prefer centered) I don´t know if it is a problem of the TV or of the cable. Could someone help me?

that's normal for RGB connection. any RGB connected system is shifted slightly, how much will depend on the system and the TV.

I'm pretty sure there's some way to correct this, but it might be a bit expensive (e.g. delay lines).

Well it is a very little price comparing the advantages of RGB image, so nevermind.Thanks guys.

I recommend everybody with an European MegaDrive doing the switch and the cable, it is very worth and not a hard task.

you may find a H-center potentiometer INSIDE your TV, I f you can locate it by carefully testing, you may unsolder it, and wire to another one of the same value, placed on the back of the TV for example. this will be your H-center knob (you may do so for V-size, to reduce black bars for example)

I found that out the hard way. I used to work in A/V equipment repair. Once I wasn't concentrating and got thrown across the room... ooops!

My arm was having spasms for days after that. It's quite unpleasant so please be careful if you go tinkering with your TV!

Don´t worry I prefer seeing games not perfectly centered than opening the TV and touching inside.

In my house when something breaks everybody looks at me and blames me (not matter if I´m inocent). Imagine if my family saw me messing with the TV, it could be a tragedy but not for the tv, just for me :)

And there is also the electric danger.

It's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps. Besides, you'll recieve a far less severe shock if you don't GRAB whatever is going to bust you. Pressure on your skin lowers its electrical resistance. Try it out with an ohmeter.

It's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps.

That's kind of like saying "It's not the distance of the fall that kills you, it's how much force you absorb when you hit the ground". It's true, but it also implies that the first factor doesn't matter at all, which isn't true. That being said, I'll agree that it is important to remember that current is the final arbiter of death-dealing mayhem when it comes to electronics.

Besides, you'll recieve a far less severe shock if you don't GRAB whatever is going to bust you.

Incidentally, it's also important to remember that you don't always get to make the decisions as to how to move your body when a shock comes into play. If you're going to work on a live circuit with that much potential, it might not be a bad idea to have someone else nearby to cut off the power in case you have problems...

Back