Completeing Video games

mal

Established Member
I was thinking about this the other day as I looked at the dozens of video games I own that I've never finished (let alone the ones I've never started :blush: ).

I don't often play video games from start to finish. It's even rarer that I'll complete a game and collect every item and unlock every special option. I'm not sure if it's because they get too hard or just because I get bored...

The last game I did everything in was Finding Nemo on the GameCube. My daughter loves that one, but she needs some help sometimes. 🙂

What about you guys? How determined do you get?

Hm.. depends on the game. I've been playing VF for nearly about years now, and I'm nowhere near as good as I'd like to be. I wish to one day be the best Sarah player in the world.

I was thinking of something like this last night in bed. I call myself an RPGer, but in the last three years, I've only completed five RPGs!

Final Fantasy X (June 1, 2002)

Chrono Trigger (August 2002)

Chrono Cross (August 2002)

Phantasy Star II (May 24/25, 2003)

Phantasy Star IV (July 2003)

Last RPG completed before FFX? FFIX (January 2001)!

This summer, I be playing both Lunars (Mega CD), Breath of Fire, and maybe FFVI.

I'm currently playing Phantasy Star III every now and then.

After SNES I started makeing money and found the used game sections at Blockbuster stores where you could pick up great used games for $10. Then I got more games and stopped playing them as fully as possiable...

The last games i've played from start to finish are in this order.

Max Payne 2 (PC)

Max Payne (PC)

Halo (Xbox)

Zelda Ocarana of Time. (N64)

Mario 64 (N64)

Final Fantasy 7 (PSX)

Wild Arms (PSX)

Crusader of Centy (Genesis)

Zelda 3 (SNES)

there's probably been more but those are the only ones that stand out in my mind.

I think it's more of boredome. SOme new games are good, but nothing is GREAT like it used to be. I posted this in another topic, the last game to make me get that " feeling" was Zelda:OOT and to a greater extent, Mario64 (god that was an INSANELY great game when it came out..still is good today). Games today suck :-\. They are fun for like 10min, then I am bored.

Thanks for the links Quadriflax, but I wasn't just talking about just RPGs, and I'm not that interested in a dead thread at VGR.

I'm talking about all video games and especially modern ones where there are a dozens of things to collect or unlock to "extend" gameplay beyond the main game.

a few times in my gaming career.

off the top of my head...

Zelda (the original GB version)

Super Mario Land 2

Wario Land

Simpsons Arcade

Sonic 1, 2, & 3

various 2D fighters

Most games just are long or get too hard near the end.

For instance I still haven't beat the last level of my beloved Jet Grind Radio

Originally posted by racketboy@Apr 19, 2004 @ 08:49 PM

.....For instance I still haven't beat the last level of my beloved Jet Grind Radio

:ph34r: racketboy! I am very dissappointed. It's not THAT hard, go and finish that game RIGHT NOW.

I usually finish about 80% of my games.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Apr 19, 2004 @ 09:36 PM

u haven't finished sonic 1, 2, or 3? SOnic one and 2 take maybe an hour to complete, sit and play damn you! haha

I think those were the games he did beat.

I've been on kind of a spree lately and have several games I haven't finished: PSO ep3, Sonic Heroes, TMNT, Far Cry, and some others.. that's not even including the dozens of Genesis carts I haven't finished yet. I also have a few games I haven't even played yet, including Silent Hill 3 and Wind Waker. I really try to finish games whenever I can, but sometimes I just lose interest and don't play a game for long periods of time. Which is funny because although those long titles often don't captivate me enough, I have some simple games like Donpachi, rRootage, and Metal Slug that I've been playing extensively. I guess it just goes to show you that good gameplay really is the heart of the game.

All this is a side-effect of being an adult and working, of course, but also because I'm into games I sometimes feel compelled to purchase new titles even if I know I won't get to play them for a while. I should really tone it down a bit, which I've been sort of trying to do by focusing on games that don't require insane devotion.

That's why I think older games are better, because they relied on gameplay and such rather than fancy FMV sequences and flashy 3D graphics.

and good Racket, I would of hoped that u beat SOnic 1 and 2, there is no reason for ANYONE not to play them.

the big ones I'm mainly looking to finish:

Jet Grind Radio

Skies of Arcadia

Grandia 2

Advance Wars 2

Sonic Battle

Golden Sun

Suikoden

half my problem is there are so many RPGs that I start and get pulled away from for some reason

Wee. Good time for this thread, because I've been on a break and have played many games from start to finish, and even clocking them in the process!

In order of last played and passed:

(SNES) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Yeah, played and passed this game more than a dozen times since it's release, but unfortunately, I only clocked it once - which I mean I got everything I could and did everything I could do in the game. That was back when it first came out, and I hadn't clocked it since..always missed a stupid peice of heart!! But this time I played it, I ended up with all 20 hearts! So that was pretty cool.

(NES) Double Dragon 2: The Revenge - Played this game on hardest difficulty setting, as I do 😉. Wanted to get to the last boss and hear the funny music that doesn't fit for a boss fight, but I was a bit impatient in Level 6 and 7, and lost two much needed lives in two careless jumps. Due to this, I had to do the rest of the game on the one life, and died just before the boss in Level 8. Oh well.

(TurboGrafx) Neutopia II - This game is very similar to Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, but I'm not going through all the similarities 😉 Anyway, the gameplay in this game wasn't as good as Zelda 3, but fortunately the music was good and kept me playing. I clocked this baby aswell - expect it pissed me off alot because I missed an item in a REALLY big dungeon and had to go through the dungeon about 3 or 4 times before I found it.. *sigh*. But all in all, not too shaby. As you can tell, after I played this game, I wanted to play Zelda 3 and compare both games. That I did.

(SNES) Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble - bah, what a mouthfull that name is. Yeah, the game is pretty boring compared to the previous DKC games, but since I haven't played and passed this game since it's release, I thought it was about time... and it was! I couldn't remember most stuff about the levels, and couldn't even remember some levels themselves - which was good, since it was like playing the game for the first time - no wait.. more like having deja-vu everytime I remember something about a level. Anyway, the game was alright to play and beat, but once again, the music was good enough to keep me playing. Passed and clocked, with 103% but unfortunately was an hour to slow compared to Cranky's clock time in order to get top spot on the ladder, but that's what you get when you frameskip heaps 😀.

(PSX) Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back - Yeah, I've taken a break from this game, was playing to clock it, but then lost interest all of a sudden. Currently, I've got every thing you can get up to world 3.

(Sega CD) Shining Force CD - Fun fun game 🙂 Played the first story a few years ago, and totally forgot their was a second story to play and pass! So that's what I did. A bit harder than the first story - the last boss took a while.

(DOS) Doom - Played and passed this fun game about a month ago. I think I played it on the middle difficulty setting. And, no - I'm not good enough to clock this game 😉

(Game Boy) Donkey Kong - Played and passed this game a fair while ago. Been a LONG time since I last time I passed it, and even forgot the last few worlds. Fun game 🙂

Yeah, I'll stop now. The last three I played before the break anyway. Games I'll probably play and pass next are:

Wonderboy in Monster World (MegaDrive)

Megaman X/2/3 (SNES)

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Apr 20, 2004 @ 02:31 AM

wonderboy in monster world is a bitch to beat (the last boss) so make sure and get plenty of hearts....just a heads up ;-)

Yeah, that last boss is tough, but aint so bad if you have most of the hearts, best elixer and power magic 😉 😉 The only thing which I usually skip obtaining in order to clock this game is the charmstone which you buy for 1 Milllion coins... screw that :bs Of course I know what the charmstones are good for, but it's just not worth the time..

Lately I've realized I don't take the time to finish long rpgs and stuff, so I've taken to games you don't really "beat" ... aka, sports games. Madden, MVP Baseball, Mario Golf, etc...

While there are unlockables in most of the things, I don't usually care too much about unlocking the 1985 Bears.

I've still got Lunar: Eternal Blue sitting up on a shelf somewhere, FFX, Metroid Prime, and Wind Waker... not to mention a bunch of others. If only I hadn't gone those 4-5 years when I kept buying games I'd never beat. <_<

I will almost always complete a game as far as seeing the ending. I used to try and 100% complete every game I played, but that was when I only could get a few games a year. These days I dont usually bother.

The last game with unlockable extras that I completed 100% was Sonic Adventure 2, I just had to unlock Green Hill Zone.

Back