Computer Looks Like It Died

slinga

Established Member
Hey guys,

I moved to DC for an internship, and it looks like my pc died. On saturday I went to a friend's house and spent the night. I came back, and my computer looked like it was frozen, the power was on, but there was nothing on the monitor. I rebooted and nothing happened. I did this like 10 times and eventually it booted up as normal. I used the computer for like 10-15 minutes, and went away for half an hour. When I came back, the comptuer was again frozen, with no display on the monitor. I turned it off and back on 100,000,000,000,000 times since, and it still doesn't work.

I did the following things:

- removed all PCI cards

- removed power to all IDE devices

- removed keyboard & mouse

- removed ram, and replaced one by one (I have three sticks)

All I get is a brief flash of light on the keyboard, and no display on the monitor. I really have no clue what the problem could be. I've never had trouble with this machine before. The only thing that I can think happened is that someone there was a power surge, and that fried my mobo. Since I'm not in my basement I don't have access to spare anythings. Any advice on what it could be? I'm stumped.

I going to spend today probably removing and reseating my mobo, but I have a feeling it's a bigger problem then that =(.

Have you tried powering on with only power running to the system board? I usually start with that, then CPU, then memory 1 stick at a time. Course this requries going by beep codes. Not too bad.

Beeps, or two-char displays, or even sometimes really crappy tinny voice. Anyway, do all your attached fans come on and do your drives power up? I don't care if they DO anything, but do they spin up?

All fans spin, all drives power up. I reseated the mobo last night, and when I did that it booted the bios twice. Then never again. I'm pretty sure it's either CPU is fried or power supply.

Could be... but the PSU isn't completely shot if it powers everything up like that. Doesn't mean its working properly, of course.

Sounds like maybe something's shorting on the motherboard? If you can, I would try replacing the power supply first. If that doesn't work it does sound like your board is toast. I had a board that one day didn't do anything. Everything powered on okay, but nothing on the screen. At least it gave me a reason to upgrade my hardware at the time :)

Quadriflax: yeah that's the path I chose too. It's a 4 year old machine, so I decided to buy a cheap P4 barebones and toss my hard drives in the new machine. How fully windows will work, but if not I got knoppix and suse live eval to fool around with.

By "cheap P4 barebones" I hope you bought a seperate PSU. The crappy ones that come with most of those aren't worth the steel they're housed in. Oh well, it should work for a while as long as you're not putting a big load on it.

Doh, I didn't even think about that.

Anyway my new P4 barebones is finally in, and of course my old windows hard drive won't boot. I had a knoppix-std cd lying around, and works like a charm. Everything, including Divx works. Haven't checked sound, but that looks like it's working. I just view I had a whole lot more ram...

Back