Convert .gym files to other formats?

Anyone? I have quite a collection of .gyms that I'd like to convert to mp3/ogg. Haven't found any util or plugin for other programs so far. And just give googling for ".gym" a try, millions of irrelevant hits about working out :motz:

Ok an update on what I've managed to do so far: I've installed a Winamp .gym plugin and used both the Winamp output disk writer and a 3rd party output disk writer to create wav/mp3 dumps from the .gym files. Besides the fact that in my opinion both of the gym plugins I've found and tried are of a quality level that makes me want to rip my ears off, both gym plugins also seem to drop the first .5 secs of the song when dumping it. So this option (dumping through winamp) doesn't work.

Any help would be very welcome!

You can't really "convert" .gym to MP3/Vorbis as such since a .gym file is not actually a sound recording; it would be necessary to synthesize it and then encode the synthesized file. The main thing that comes to mind is to get a .gym player plugin for Winamp and use the disk writer output plugin, then use the MP3 or Vorbis encoder of your choice on the resulting files.

edit: okay, I see you've tried that. I don't know what else to suggest. Ss for the quality issue, you will never find a .gym player that is anywhere close to 100% accurate because the format itself limits the frequency of updates to the sound configuration which is no problem for normal synthesis but breaks a bunch of special effects.

Thanks for the help, but indeed tried that. I know that it has to be synthesized so the winamp method is the only one that I can think of as well. But missing the first half sec and having such bad quality is just not acceptable, so I guess it's either search really good for MP3 versions of the music, or rip it myself!

Back