ConvSCD 1.05 has arrived

I've released a new version of ConvSCD. It has the following new features:

Improved Region Detection: ConvSCD should now be able to correctly identify an ISO's region 100% of the time.

Identifies converted ISOs: ConvSCD will now tell the user if it detects that the image has been converted before

Report Mode: If a filename is given on the command line, ConvSCD will print a report about the image and exit without doing a conversion.

You can get it at http://www.retrodev.com/

I hope to get a new version put together in the next few days. That build should support backing out conversions, BIN/CUE images, and the option of using command line arguments to specify all the options instead of the text menus.

Yesterday I tried converting The Space Adventure Cobra (U) to European with Convscd 1.02, and although it worked on Gens, when I tried it on my machine it kept resetting... Just trying to help with the upcoming compatibility list ;)

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny@Mar 3, 2004 @ 07:14 AM

I hope to get a new version put together in the next few days. That build should support backing out conversions, BIN/CUE images, and the option of using command line arguments to specify all the options instead of the text menus.

l33t!

version 1.05 failed to read my simearth iso as a valid mega cd image. i know this is an issue with convscd and not my iso, because version 1.02 happily reads and converts it for me.

i'd be happy to provide the iso or related files for testing purposes.

I discovered the problem. Small typo in the detection code and I was too tired to test it properly when I released it. A bugfix will be available in a day or two. I tried replying to your e-mail, but hotmail complained that your address was not valid or some such nonsense.

EDIT:

It has also been brought to my attention that there is a problem converting a US game to a European one. The converted ISO will work fine in an emulator, but fail on the real hardware. This will be hard for me to track down as I do not have a European system to test on.

Mad Dog Mcree doesn't seem to work when converted from US to EU this is on actual hardware, It just display's garbage when it starts. :puke:

edit: probably a timing bug.

does this version support BIN/CUE ??? or do i still have to convert the bin.cue to iso/wav with winiso and then make a cuesheet with segacuemaker ???

Would be nice if it supported BIN/CUE.

Also is there a way rip a mega/segacd straight to 1 big *.iso and then convert it ???

Or has it always to be iso/wav ???

Greetz

DjoeN

Great Program :)

Has some problems with Lunar the Silver Star, i have the us version (original) but as i'm in europe and only have a pal system, i really like to have this one converted, it always locks up the drive after a few seconds of displaying the studio logo of the makers.

(Qoute: ok i have now a multi regio bios in my megacd1, :) but anyway for downastairs i'll still use the megacd2 withc only play pal games)

He said the next version should have bin/cue support. The reason you can't have "one big iso" is because an iso is an image of a single track. So the game has the data track which is the .iso, and the .wavs are all the audio tracks. You can't have all of that in an .iso.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Apr 1, 2004 @ 01:23 PM

He said the next version should have bin/cue support. The reason you can't have "one big iso" is because an iso is an image of a single track. So the game has the data track which is the .iso, and the .wavs are all the audio tracks. You can't have all of that in an .iso.

With raw iso's you can have one big iso. And convscd has Bin+Cue support - the input file can be a bin, but the output file will be an iso -- a raw iso (ie big iso).

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Apr 2, 2004 @ 01:28 AM

Then what's the difference between a raw .bin and a raw .iso?

An .iso is a binary image of one track from a cd. For Sega CD games, it's going to be track 1, the data track.

A .bin (typically) contains every track from a cd, run end to end in one big file. This format requires another file, the .cue sheet. The cue contains index points for each track within the .bin. Without the cue sheet, cd image readers (burning programs, daemon tools, etc) will only see track 1.

A raw image (mode1/2352) means that each sector (aka frame) of a cd image contains 2352 bytes. This is all the data from that sector plus error correction info.

The alternative to raw is "cooked" (mode1/2048) mode. This means that each sector contains 2048 bytes, which is the actual data in each sector. The error correction info is generated by the cd image reader apps.

There are also mode2 formats, but those aren't necessary for Sega CD games.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon+Apr 2, 2004 @ 03:21 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyGoon @ Apr 2, 2004 @ 03:21 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexvrb@Apr 1, 2004 @ 01:23 PM

With raw iso's you can have one big iso. And convscd has Bin+Cue support - the input file can be a bin, but the output file will be an iso -- a raw iso (ie big iso). [/b][/quote]

convscd only supports "cooked" mode images at this time. Feeding it anything else is a bad idea.

Has some problems with Lunar the Silver Star, i have the us version (original) but as i'm in europe and only have a pal system, i really like to have this one converted, it always locks up the drive after a few seconds of displaying the studio logo of the makers.

From what I've gathered, your copy of Lunar has gotten further than the other US -> EU conversions as of late. What version Mega CD do you have.

Also, for those that have had the problem with the converted disc working in an emulator but not on a real Mega CD, could you tell me what version of the unit you have and what BIOS revision you are using in Gens/Kega/Ages/etc.

Originally posted by King M+Apr 2, 2004 @ 07:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(King M @ Apr 2, 2004 @ 07:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexvrb@Apr 2, 2004 @ 01:28 AM

Then what's the difference between a raw .bin and a raw .iso?

An .iso is a binary image of one track from a cd. For Sega CD games, it's going to be track 1, the data track. [/b][/quote]

That's what I originally said, thanks for verifying it. I was getting confused there.

Can't get this program to work. Won't work in Windows XP Pro or my Windows 98 SE.

I can open the program, but when I enter the iso filename it closes.

I know that if a filename is given on the command line, ConvSCD will give a report and shutdown without converting.

So then how do I tell it what file to convert? :damn:

Can someone give me a quick step by step tutorial?

And has anyone tried converting Ninja Warriors from Jap to USA?

try starting the program from the command prompt without arguments.

for win98, use msdos prompt

for wnixp, go start > run > enter "cmd"

that way you can see what error you get before the program exits. fyi, convscd 1.05 has a bug where it will not read jap discs properly. try v1.02.

Thanks for the info King M. I get an error from the progrom that my .iso file is not valid.

I tried scdconv and it says the conversion was Depth 3.

Back