Copy Protected Games?

Hi, i was wondering, if a lot of saturn games have copy protection, and is there a place where i can find a list of these games? Thanks

Originally posted by ridah100@Nov. 29 2002, 12:14 am

Hi, i was wondering, if a lot of saturn games have copy protection, and is there a place where i can find a list of these games? Thanks

The last time I checked, ALL Saturn games have copy protection.

hehe

ridah100, ALL saturn games are copy protected with one of the best protections ever made... But you can still play your cd-r "backups" on the real console (there isn't yet a "good" saturn emulator... Unless you've got a real good pc, like a Pentium IV 2.0+ GHz...), to play cd-r's on your saturn you need a mod board, or a more economical solution the swap trick, if you're still interested in this matter, look for info on SX's miscellaneous section, before asking for help...

Boy, MasterAkumaMatata, did you ever step into a big, fat, steamin' one. Naturally, there are NO copy-protected Saturn games whatsoever
tongue.gif
in fact, you can COPY them just fine, even with a standard backup via CDRWin or Nero, without the need for reading illegal sectors and whatnot
smile.gif

No, what Sega did so right with the Saturn was preventing you from PLAYING these copies, and, well, truth be told: while that's been circumvented long ago with the swap trick and mod boards, we need to add in all fairness that when the Saturn was new (1994), very few people had the means to even record a CD.

The logo area definitely falls under copy-protection. If you could duplicate it, you could run it on an unmodded machine. There are many copy protection schemes that will allow you to make seemingly working copies but won't work. A more interesting question is, are there any games with additional protection? I know my US Dark Saviour has an area roughly in the middle of the disc that looks like a small, severely distorted piece of the Sega logo. Unfortunately, the way the modchips seem to work doing additional logo checks probably does not help. (If the area indeed is another logo it would be distorted on the disc since the drive is CAV and the tracklength is different.)

Actually, there is evidence to suggest that Sega wasn't trying to make anything that was hard to copy, just something that required unlicensed publishers to put a Sega logo on the disc itself, giving Sega an extra legal club to beat them with in court. This could have something to do with the fact that Accolade had previously argued - rather successfully - that the "produced by or under license from" screen on Genesis was entirely Sega's responsibility.

And I still insist that Saturn games are not copy-protected.
cool.gif
You can copy each GAME in its entirety without difficulty and have a working backup. It's the security ring one cannot copy, but that isn't required for a Saturn game to work. So what if one has to use the swap trick or a mod board.
tongue.gif

To me, a game is only truly copy-protected if a backup made from that game can not be made to work no matter what, i.e. the game itself is corrupted and useless because it didn't copy 100%.

Originally posted by Taelon@Dec. 05 2002, 2:00 pm

And I still insist that Saturn games are not copy-protected.
cool.gif
You can copy each GAME in its entirety without difficulty and have a working backup. It's the security ring one cannot copy, but that isn't required for a Saturn game to work. So what if one has to use the swap trick or a mod board.
tongue.gif

To me, a game is only truly copy-protected if a backup made from that game can not be made to work no matter what, i.e. the game itself is corrupted and useless because it didn't copy 100%.

Umm Taelon is exactly 100% right.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@Dec. 05 2002, 10:00 pm

So Lightwave or other software that requires hardware dongles aren't copy protected either, as you can make how many copies you want but you can't run them? Most Playstation games aren't copy protected either, since it's only an area at the beginning you can't make a copy of, but you can circumvent with a modchip? IMO they are copy-protected with a protection scheme that's inherent in the format.

Originally posted by antime@Dec. 05 2002, 2:43 pm

So Lightwave or other software that requires hardware dongles aren't copy protected either, as you can make how many copies you want but you can't run them? Most Playstation games aren't copy protected either, since it's only an area at the beginning you can't make a copy of, but you can circumvent with a modchip? IMO they are copy-protected with a protection scheme that's inherent in the format.

I have to agree with antime, the Saturn games are still copy protected inherantly because of that little devil security ring. It's just that you can bypass it with the swap trick or other means. It's copy protected just like certain software is on computers via dongles and such. If you really want an example of an uncopy-protected thing look and the sega cd. with those you don't need to do anything in order to play them (i think even though I haven't actually burned any segacd games myself).

I guess the simple point I'm trying to make that just eludes people for some reason is that so-called copy-protected games really are EXECUTE-PROTECTED.
biggrin.gif

I guess this is the way I look at it, if you can't simply copy a game to a cdr and play it without any other "chips or modboards or patches or cracks" then the cd IS copy protected. If you can copy them and play them without the help of other stuff, like turbo duo cd's and 3DO cd's, then they are NOT copy protected. Just my 2 cents....

Back