Copyright ring

I'm actually gonna have a heart and give you a response...

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE AND NEVER WILL BE. THE COPYRIGHT PROTECTION ON SATURN GAME DISCS CANNOT BE DUPLICATED BY ANY BRAND/MODEL OF CONSUMER CD RECORDER, PERIOD.

The latest crop of recorders can only "write" patterns to the *unused* portion of a CDR disc that appear to the human eye as text and graphics. This has nothing to do with recording actual, computer-readable data.

Can we please be done with this rumor once and for all?
tongue.gif

from the info on the site he pointed to it looks as if it could be possible

the original copy ring wasnt data it was just writting wasnt it

if so you just need to get the writting looking the same and add a dummy file to push the ring right to the edge of the disc so in effect you would have recreated the copyright ring.

i mighht be completely wrong but still worth a try.

Feel free to buy one of those burners, work out how to read the ring and then how to burn it back in the right place.

Until someone puts some effort into this, discussion like this will remain pointless.

I don't believe it would work anyway, but feel free to prove me wrong.
smile.gif

The Saturn copy-protection ring defeated the efforts of DOZENS if not HUNDREDS of the 1337-est Asian software pirates back in the day. The fact that you STILL need a modchip to play Hong Kong Silvers should tell you something. They couldn't get past it and they had access to ACTUAL PROFESSIONAL CD MANUFACTURING FACILITIES and probably even electron microscopes. Plus you know they reverse-engineered the whole thing to hell and back.

Whatever the heck Sega buried in there obviously doesn't resemble anything you'd see on an ordinary CD. It's way different than the traditional method of "legitimately bad sector" copy-protection.

I don't deny that it would be neat to find out just what that ring contains- but I seriously doubt that any CD-R can duplicate it.

-duncan

My burner can burn the rings and all sortsa funky shit+even picture designs and text into the discs but they still need a mod chip no matter how real they look.

The bottom line is this: until someone figures out how to READ the ring, we have no viable information as to the difficulty of writing it.

Scan it, huh? Well, when I put a CD in my flatbed scanner, all I get are those ugly moire patterns. ;-)

Back