Cordless phones

Im looking into getting a cordless phone. Possibly one that you can add more headsets to and what not. But there are the three different ones, 900GHz 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz. Whats the best one to get? :huh

I know that as the GHz goes up so does the range and clarity of sound. I think i remember reading somewhere about how the FTC just increased the frequency range for wireless devices too, so this might be why all of these 5.8GHz are coming out now..

You basically got it. The higher the MHZ the farther away u can get and w/ less distortion. I have sum new cordless phones, u can put songs on for ringers, have colored screen (u can change the "wallpaper" of the phone), and even an equalizer, haha. Not needed, I know, but I love em to death. I used to have sum old 900's and those were horrable, even when in the same room it would cut out, get a lil fuzzy, etc. Never owned a 2.4 but I would advise to get the 5.8, mine gives a clear signal until a couple houses away (so anywhere in the yard it's %100).

I personally recommend 5.8 GHz. From my experience it I have seen less interference with that. Too many device operate on the 2.8 GHz level. I had one a couple, and things like a microwave, my wavebird controller, and my wireless gateway would all step on each other. After switching to a 5.8, I don't see this.

Reception quality and range isn't strictly based on frequency. Different phones, different results. I have several cordless phones, all of them 2.4Ghz. Some of them are great, some are so-so. With that said, I'd opt for a higher frequency phone at this point, as they're all pretty expensive to begin with. It wouldn't be that much more for a 5.8Ghz.

I can definitely recommend Uniden's TRU-5865/5885 5.8GHz phone; when I was working at Radio Shack it did a tour of duty as the store phone - it showed excellent clarity, range (it accidentally got carried to the Subway at the end of the strip mall a couple times and still worked) and we never had problems with it; it even stood up to a fair amount of abuse. The only reason we stopped using it is that the DM told us we had to use a cheaper phone as the store phone.

Everything else being equal.

Higher frequencies get you better clarity and better obstacle avoidance (ie you can have more stuff between the phone and receiver).

Lower frequencies get you better range but sacrifice clarity and are mostly best with line of sight applications.

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 25, 2004 @ 10:58 PM

I can definitely recommend Uniden's TRU-5865/5885 5.8GHz phone; when I was working at Radio Shack it did a tour of duty as the store phone - it showed excellent clarity, range (it accidentally got carried to the Subway at the end of the strip mall a couple times and still worked) and we never had problems with it; it even stood up to a fair amount of abuse. The only reason we stopped using it is that the DM told us we had to use a cheaper phone as the store phone.

Well i was going to get that one, but then I changed my mind at the last minute and got a different brand. I hope I get good results, the only thing is that the base is going to be in the basement in my room so that will probably severly shorten the range i can get. I guess ill find out after it fully charges.

Back