Custom Game Music

B

BigDAlcala

I know I should just shut up and try it myself, but I was wondering if you rename your own songs to the sound files for the game, will the game still work, only with the music you like? It would be cool to change the battle music to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana in some of these RPG's.

Don't you mean "replace with" and not "rename"? If you just rename the game audio files, you change the reference to those files, thus rendering them useless. Anyway, to start off, you need to know how and be able to encode the type of sound file the game uses. Additionally, if the size of your new sound file is bigger than the original file on the game, you'll need to remaster the entire CD. If same size or smaller, then it's possible to replace the sound file within an image using the latest version of CDmage.

No, I actually meant rename. I meant to take the songs I want in the game, rename them to the wavs that came with the iso (assuming I downloaded the iso with mp3's or wavs), deleting the original wavs, and then replace them with the songs I renamed.

The track names don't matter as long as they correspond with what you have in the cue sheet. They could be named 'Fred.wav' and 'Barney.wav' etc as long as they matched the cue.

It's quite straight forward to replace them. It was also recently discussed here. The tracks may need to be the same lenghts but you won't know until you try.

Originally posted by BigDAlcala@July 18 2002, 3:06 am

No, I actually meant rename. I meant to take the songs I want in the game, rename them to the wavs that came with the iso (assuming I downloaded the iso with mp3's or wavs), deleting the original wavs, and then replace them with the songs I renamed.

What was that?
ohmy.gif

Ok man. Good for you. You can highlight words in my post. Cool......../me biting tongue 'cause I don't want to partake in another flame war...*ahem!* Cecilia Chen *ahem!*.......

Originally posted by BigDAlcala@July 18 2002, 8:01 pm

.../me biting tongue 'cause I don't want to partake in another flame war...*ahem!* Cecilia Chen *ahem!*.......

If you don't want any grief, why did you bring it up? ???

What exactly are you starting with? An original CD or CDR, an iso and mp3s/wavs or a bin/cue?

How you go about this will depend on what you've got.

Ah, all he wants is to replace CD audio tracks! That's very simple, in most cases. You do what you've been trying to tell averyone, but overcomplicated. Just burn your own custom .WAVs instead of the default ones.

But beware with games (mostly Sega CD games) where track lenght does matter (ie.: cutscenes in Lunar silver Star). Usually they won't bother if you leave the cutscenes audio tracks alone.

Now, if you want to change the songs from games that uses audio files... you're in trouble.

i d/led a copy of panzer dragoon, track 7 corrupted at some point in time in the process so i replaced it with track 7 from wipeout (which is like 2x as long) burned the sucker and it works just fine.

Originally posted by M3d10n@July 17 2002, 3:20 pm

Ah, all he wants is to replace CD audio tracks! That's very simple, in most cases. You do what you've been trying to tell averyone, but overcomplicated. Just burn your own custom .WAVs instead of the default ones.

But beware with games (mostly Sega CD games) where track lenght does matter (ie.: cutscenes in Lunar silver Star). Usually they won't bother if you leave the cutscenes audio tracks alone.

Now, if you want to change the songs from games that uses audio files... you're in trouble.

i'm tryin to do the same thing by sticking sweetness in the intro movie to sonic cd but what's the diff between a track and a file? Cause i got sonic cd with an iso, a cue, and 35 mp3's. So i would simply shorten my song, rename it to sonic34.mp3, delte the old one and i'm done?

An audio track is an mp3 or wav CD track.

An audio file is 'embeded' within the data track of the game. It would be much harder to extract, edit (or replace) and re-insert an audio file.

Back