dc vga box

Your monitor plugs into the vga box. if you want to hook the monitor back up to your p.c. you gotta disconnect it from vga box and hook it back up to video card. it's actually a real pain if you only have one monitor. i was thinking of building a 2 port switch then went in favor of lazyness and dug an old 15' out of my garage and hooked that up instead. btw THE VGA BOX IS WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD and i highly recomened that everyone who still owns a dreamcast purchase one immediately.

I have to agree with you Size, I recently picked up one up and it is sooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet,, I mean it is nice to play the dreamcast on a tft flat screen, the picture on my monitor is crisp, and it is just plain awesome.... I highly recommend one of these to anyone as well.

yeah it is a shame, you would figure that all the games would support it, but still it is sick no matter how many games are supported

Grandia II on VGA display, especially when you visit the towns. :yum :drool:

Originally posted by muffinman943@Sep 27, 2003 @ 12:48 PM

can u use it with the monitor itself? or does the monitor have 2 be connected to the pc

Some monitors (like my 21" Sony Trinitron) have two VGA inputs. :blush: :wub:

The first and still only console to officially have vga output...much better than using a crappy composite to vga converter,or overpriced upscan converter.Too bad my monitor is a small old beast,or I'd probably use it.

These things are very cheap and easy to make BTW,in fact the official thing is really just a cable with some simple circuitry for switching between normal output and vga and to prevent it from running vga on a tv and vise versa.This can be done with a cheapo IC anyway,if you require that.Do a search if you want schematics,tutorial etc

Originally posted by Darklegion@Nov 3, 2003 @ 02:47 PM

The first and still only console to officially have vga output...

...was not the Dreamcast. For instance the Pippin which was recently discussed in the general forum has a VGA port in the rear.

dc does officially support it. The vga breakout box was necessary so that you'd have something to plug your speakers into, and to keep teh size of the unit down. It's also a switch to let hte system know it's in vga mode.

Originally posted by antime+Nov 3, 2003 @ 12:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Nov 3, 2003 @ 12:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Darklegion@Nov 3, 2003 @ 02:47 PM

The first and still only console to officially have vga output...

...was not the Dreamcast. For instance the Pippin which was recently discussed in the general forum has a VGA port in the rear. [/b][/quote]

wow -- talk about ahead of it's time.

Nope. It's basically just a single common chip with connectors attached to it. They all will give you the same quality output. (Unless of course you're one of those people who thinks spending more money for a single Monster cable is worth the "improvement" a cable 1/6th it's cost could have done the job for.) The one thing that you do want to look out for (and depending on how important it is to you) is that some VGA boxes have a passthrough connector. This just means that you don't need to unplug your monitor from the PC and plug it into the VGA box each time you want to switch. With a passthrough the VGA box is connected to the PC and the monitor to it. When the DC is off the PC gets shown but when you turn it on it takes over the monitor.

Back