Dead or Alive デッドオアアラ

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
Originally posted by MobyGames

The first in the Dead or Alive series, and features many of the same features that has made the DoA series so popular today; somewhat realistic combat, good character design, and scantily clad women whose breasts bounce a lot.

The game doesn't mess too much with a background story- it's a 3D one on one fighter that takes place within an arena of limited space. Each character has their own unique way of fighting, their own abilities, and even their own hobbies and likes. (For example, Ryu Hayabusa- yes, he of Ninja Gaiden fame- likes sushi, mountain climbing, and fishing.)

Dead or Alive, you're coming with me! :p

Attachments

• Dead_Or_Alive_Front.JPG
    Dead_Or_Alive_Front.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 146
    Dead_Or_Alive_Front.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Dead_Or_Alive_Back.JPG
    Dead_Or_Alive_Back.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Dead_Or_Alive_Back.JPG
    Dead_Or_Alive_Back.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Dead_Or_Alive_Disc.JPG
    Dead_Or_Alive_Disc.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Dead_Or_Alive_Disc.JPG
    Dead_Or_Alive_Disc.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 148
    Dead_Or_Alive_Front.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Dead_Or_Alive_Back.JPG
    Dead_Or_Alive_Back.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Dead_Or_Alive_Disc.JPG
    Dead_Or_Alive_Disc.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 136
Ahh, nice pick, this is one of my favorite fighting series :p. I only have this on the Xbox DOAU bundle, eventually I hope to get the Saturn LE version. I haven't spent much time with this game, but it was obviously ahead of it's time graphic-wise, and a fun fighting game.

I have it on the DOAU bundle as well. I have to say it hasn't aged well. Obviously the graphics look dated, but the gameplay seemed quite pedestrian compared to its sequel and most modern 3D fighters.

I'm sure it was good in its time though.

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Tue, 2005-03-08 @ 06:39 PM

Does anyone know how the game got its name? :huh

[post=131083]Quoted post[/post]​

If you asked Itagaki why he named it that, he'd probably say, "Because, you're either Dead or you're alive; and losers DIE!"

I first played i on the PSX (although I had readabout the Saturn version before).

Great game.

Jann-Lee > You. :p

Kamsumi = owns all, hehe. I love this game. I like how in the first one there is lots of counter attacks and there can be used as a technique. In the latter versions it becomes harder and you don't use them that often which isn't as fun IMO. I would have to say #2 is the best, 1 a close 2nd, and 3 just stinks.

The thing I liked most about the first game, are the counters. They weren't the insane throws and everything ala DOA2 and DOA3, just a simple strike, that would leave the opponent open for an attack.

Oh and Pearl Jammzz:

Put me at the controls of Jann-Lee and Hitomi, I will DESTROY you.

Originally posted by Dud@Tue, 2005-03-08 @ 06:34 PM

If you asked Itagaki why he named it that, he'd probably say, "Because, you're either Dead or you're alive; and losers DIE!"

[post=131084]Quoted post[/post]​

DOA got the name "DEAD OR ALIVE" because the company was in huge debt and this was a gamble at the time because Itagki wasnt a well known Dev. So, the name Dead Or Alive Literaly means Dead Or Alive. Got it From Icons DOA.

It was a fun game but also a frustrating one. The counters were a bit to simple to do. Took an instant liking to Kasumi.

Back