debugging using memory card or internal memory

vbt

Staff member
Did someone already try to fill some debug trace into a memory card, is it possible to do that ? For some case it's hard to debug by reading debug traces on the screen. Also it slowdowns the application.

well, one way to debug is to read the registers and print them on screen. another way would be to write to the built-in save ram and download it using the pc comms link and read it?

I code\test only on emus actually. Satourne was good enough for me. I don't even own a commslink card.

Piratero: There should be a way to dump RAM via the commslink card. I don't know about the registers.

Originally posted by vbt@Sat, 2005-06-25 @ 10:29 PM

Did someone already try to fill some debug trace into a memory card, is it possible to do that ? For some case it's hard to debug by reading debug traces on the screen. Also it slowdowns the application.

[post=135768]Quoted post[/post]​

Haven't done it, but it should be easy.

Just print the messages to a string buffer (sprintf()) and save the buffer to backup RAM. Later you can load it from a little Saturn app and view it on Saturn. If working with a EMS ARP Plus 4in1, you can download the memory region (or backup save) to PC.

The debug log viewer could be part of the program you test.

Does the app crash? If it does, you would have to periodically save it to backup RAM.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Wed, 2005-06-29 @ 07:20 AM

Haven't done it, but it should be easy.

Just print the messages to a string buffer (sprintf()) and save the buffer to backup RAM. Later you can load it from a little Saturn app and view it on Saturn. If working with a EMS ARP Plus 4in1, you can download the memory region (or backup save) to PC.

Yes I tought about something like that :) I expected sobedoy did that already. I'll check what's needed to save a line into the internal memory.

The debug log viewer could be part of the program you test.

Nice idea, I'll how to do this.

Does the app crash? If it does, you would have to periodically save it to backup RAM.

It doesn't crash, just display a black screen.

Back