depressed over a more yellow-then-white saturn

Hi,

Tonight i decided to bust my white jap saturn out and have a go at astra superstars. But when i opened the box i had found that my once beautiful white saturn had turned yellow,.... really yellow. It had already started to yellow a bit though but I had kept it in its box for about 8 months. In that time it had gotten really yellow. So here i am, depressed because my most favourite machine out all of the ones that i own looks like a piece of crap.

So why am i depressed? sounds silly to get all upset over a console right? well for my saturn; no. I think that alot of us here can remember the feeling that we got when we bought our first import consoles?

As soon as the Saturn came out i began to work harder and save more money just so i could get a machine. I took up a job before school along with my job after school at McDonalds to pay for my new machine. Then when i finally got my machine i treated it very well and yet this still happened. I suppose that at least the mod board is still working (touch wood).

So what to do? should i invest in a new white saturn or learn to live with my machine the way it is.

Seems like we discussed this like a year or two ago.

Might want to dig/search around to see if you can find something.

Or maybe those that have dealt with it before can pitch in.

Well, this will probably do more harm then good, but it's what I would do. Take the guts out and pour bleach on the white/yellow casing. Again probably not a good idea.

How about Vinyl Dye? If it can turn black plastic to white, I don't see why it can't do the same for yellow.

Maxiclean. I don't know if it's distributed in USA, I buy it here in an electronics shops. Is an specialized product to clean computer cases, monitor cases, and, in general, all that metal and plastics around electronics. It's just AWESOME, the typical guy that's dirty, and smokes like there's no tomorrow, and take the computer to the technical service after years of getting mess in the case can't recognize the computer after being cleaned with that.

Shit, today my english is worse than usual...

Armor All multi purpose cleaner. It is outstanding stuff - very cheap too. I stopped washing my car and just use a spray bottle to clean it - significantly cleaner, and shinier (in fact, it's the only stuff that would get the diesel exhaust tar off my dad's Benz).

Hi,

This is the saturn that we talked about a year ago, but back then it wasnt as yellow as it is now. I will have to look for some of that Maxiclean and Vinyl Dye. I did try bleaching the case but it didnt do anything at all, even with pure bleach. I really wish i knew why it has turned out like this though as i dont smoke and i do treat it very well.

However this whole hing has made me paranoid that if i do get a new console it will go the same way in a while. I wonder if there is anything that i could treat a new console with to stop it going that way?

Cheers

No, not really. As far as I know the yellowing is just caused by oxidation. It's just a problem with the type of plastic used. SNES's have the same problem. It's not actually dirt or anything per se. You may be able to try some chemical solvents (the one madmalkav suggested sounds like it could work) in order to clean it, but there's nothing you can really do to prevent it.

edit - well, that's not entirely true. You could probably coat the console with some type of clear varnish, but do you really want to do that?

Originally posted by reX dart: eskimo spy@Jun 10, 2004 @ 05:56 PM

Out of concern, are Dreamcasts likely to suffer similar inflictions?

I've not seen a yellow one yet at all. It's been five years since their launch here, and they seem as white as ever! I see loads, many in poorly looked after in shop windows, but they're still white!

Maybe it takes longer..

Have you tried putting a little bit of cholorine bleach on cotton swap and apply it to a little (and invisible) part of the Saturn. Usually it's strong enough to remove most stains. If it works somewhat, you may want to continue use (though in small intervals).

I have tried chlorine but it didnt seem to make any difference. it290 is rigt though in saying that it is oxidation. I did a fair bit of research on the net and the only sources that say that oxidation is cleanable are advertising web sites.

I have seen a whole jap model console that i will probably get in the next few days and just cut my losses.

On a side note about yellowing DC's, i have seen a few. Especially when you look at Yahoo Japan's Auctions.

Another thing that i noticed was that it is mainly the later satur models that suffer from yellowing. I have got a HST-0019 and many others that i have seen have had the same problem, whilst the HST-0014 that i have seen haven't

The clam shell lid on my dreamcast is turning yellow... i bawled when i saw it... it's pretty vague, but it's a sign of what's to come... I'll take a few pics..

edit: crappy pic, but you can see the difference

Attachments

• dcyellow.jpg
    dcyellow.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 94
  • dcyellow.jpg
    dcyellow.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 93
  • dcyellow.jpg
    dcyellow.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 93
It still might be cleanable, and if not, it is certainly paintable (via the wonders of a good quality spraypaint, like Krylon/Duplicolor). If prevention is what you're looking for, they have clear spraypaints available that should do the job nicely.

Back