Disc Unsuitable for this system (Saturn)

Ratamahatta

Established Member
Hey, I was going through the games that I had stored on my FTP backup and tried burning them to test them out, a few games give me the error "Disc unsuitable for this system" I use Satconv to convert the games country code and all that jazz, but it just doesnt seem to want to run in my system. eg: Dragonforce, Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Wisdom to name a few. I was wondering what I am doing wrong to continually run into these errors?

maybe satconv didn't work properly.

Try using a cart or region switch.

If that doesn't work... they may be bad burns or bad backups.

im assuming you have a chip...

I use the swap method to test burns, didn't really want to mod my saturn, as I dont have the patience to do it. I have ruled out the possibility of a bad backup from CD because I have other games that I had backed up on the same cd and they work fine without a glitch. SO I am assuming that there is something wrong with the Backup of the game itself?

There's an important distinction here:

"Disc unsuitable for this system" = Saturn doesn't recognize the disc as a Saturn disc. This usually means that the TOC or the IP.BIN (first 32K of the ISO) is corrupt, which can happen due to burning in the wrong mode or from remastering. I suppose satconv could also screw things up depending on the format of the disc image (I think it was only intended for patching an ISO filesystem image, not "raw" images).

"Game disc unsuitable for this system" = Saturn recognizes the disc but won't play it because the territory code is wrong.

This usually means that the TOC or the IP.BIN (first 32K of the ISO) is corrupt, which can happen due to burning in the wrong mode or from remastering.
I gotta agree here. I usually get this error when I burn in the wrong mode. While like 80% of Saturn stuff burns fine in TAO, every so often you get some that only work in DAO. Dunno why, but it happens. If your Saturn is RW tweaked and you've got the time, try burning in each the mode. One of 'em is sure to work.

Some Saturn games won't function correctly if burned in TAO, but I don't think it would cause the Saturn to reject it; i.e. it would at least get to the "Produced by or under license from Sega Enterprises" screen. When I said "mode" I was referring to e.g. mode1/2048 vs. mode1/2352. I know that there is at least one rip out there (Strikers 1945 II bin/cue) that has a cuesheet specifying 2352 when the .bin is actually 2048.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Tue, 2006-04-04 @ 10:14 PM

Some Saturn games won't function correctly if burned in TAO, but I don't think it would cause the Saturn to reject it; i.e. it would at least get to the "Produced by or under license from Sega Enterprises" screen. When I said "mode" I was referring to e.g. mode1/2048 vs. mode1/2352. I know that there is at least one rip out there (Strikers 1945 II bin/cue) that has a cuesheet specifying 2352 when the .bin is actually 2048.

[post=145499]Quoted post[/post]​

After I burned it it did get the the Produced by or under license from screen. but after that it just goes back to the saturn gui and it basically gets caught in a loop.

When I said "mode" I was referring to e.g. mode1/2048 vs. mode1/2352. I know that there is at least one rip out there (Strikers 1945 II bin/cue) that has a cuesheet specifying 2352 when the .bin is actually 2048.

Heh, heh..oops :lol:

Can you post your cue? Maybe we could have a look at it and see what's what. I think we all feel your pain dude, this can be sooooo annoying.

Back