Does anybody collect arcade stuff?

racketboy

Established Member
I'm kinda thinking about collecting some arcade marquees.

I was just wondering if there is anybody else that collects marquees, flyers, or anything else arcade related.

Any tips/ideas on displaying?

Any good sites on the subject?

BTW, here's my first one that I just won on eBay for $5 plus $8 shipping:

i-1.JPG

Nice. Is that actually made of glass as they are often listed?

I'm reluctant to buy one as I'm concerned it will end up shattered by international mail.
sad.gif

As you may have guessed I collect arcade stuff, mainly boards though.
smile.gif

I need to get around to buying a marquee for my MAME cab, but I've got pretty much the same fears as Mal.

Been eyeing up a Gradius marquee, since those go with the cab's colour scheme pretty well. Plus the fact that anyone who plays on it will go "Hey, we should play the game that's up there!" and then have their confidence shattered when they play it
smile.gif

Originally posted by Myname@Feb 27, 2003 @ 01:49 PM

I need to get around to buying a marquee for my MAME cab, but I've got pretty much the same fears as Mal.

Don't get me wrong, I've got quite a few classic Sega marquees, but I've seen VF ones described as 'glass' and that makes me hesitate on getting one of those.
unsure.gif

ive got a choplifter board - altered beast boad -- midnight resistance - and a streetfighter 2

i dont play them -- originaly i was going to build a super gun but then thought that was stupid and i might aswell build a cabinet -- then i got lasy and thought id buy a cabinet and just interchange the boards

but decided that i could only afford a crapy looking one with a small screen - i whent back to building my own and lazyness made me decide to make a skeleton assebly with a few harnesses a powersupply and an commodore amiga monitor for the rgb

so i have yet to do this and the boards are just sitting there

I collect arcade units and parts. In fact, I am looking for joysticks and stuff on my trade list right now.

I have about 20 marquee signs (plastic and glass). I want to make a quick point about buying them. It is better to do it in person rather than ebay, but either way, you must look for scratches.

Hold the sign up to the light because once it is in your machine the light will shine through and be very annoying. The coating on the back is very easy to scratch. I imagine that if it is not packed well it will easily get scratchs in the mail. After holding it up to light, lay it flat and look at the back for imperfections.

You'll regret it if you don't.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Feb 28, 2003 @ 03:15 PM

It is better to do it in person rather than ebay, but either way, you must look for scratches.

Hold the sign up to the light because once it is in your machine the light will shine through and be very annoying.

I believe racketboy is looking at collecting just marquees.

Unless he's going to build a light box for them, minor blemishes shouldn't be an issue.

Check out this NeoGeo MVS Ive converted for the Sega Dreamcast! Notice the VMU slot under the control panel? As well as the extension ports under the marquee for light guns, dance pads, fishing controllers ect! That marquee is a real Dreamcast marquee made by sega too. I was for a display at Sears or somewhere.

Dreamcabinet.jpg

Very nice.
smile.gif

I'm hoping to be able to do something like that with a Saturn one day.

Back