Does this seem wierd?

Myname

Established Member
Report that Sony is releasing a new PS2 model with DVD-R, DVD-RW etc. support.

Surely this is a bizarre move from a piracy standpoint?

It doesn't seem weird to me. Recent DVD models have these features, why shouldn't the PS2? I'm sure they've got something up their sleeve if they're worried about game piracy, but who really knows?

well my PS2 plays DVD-R just fine
biggrin.gif
so nothing new there

it works about half the time with DVD-RW.

don't have a dvd+r/rw drive to test that media but i know from other forums that dvd+r does indeed work....

as for DVD-RAM wouldn't the whole drive have to be remodeled to work with this?

Originally posted by Myname@Apr 15, 2003 @ 12:10 AM

Surely this is a bizarre move from a piracy standpoint?

I'm sure there is still a check to see if games are official or not

P L A Y S T A T I O N 2

- Sony will release a new model of PlayStation 2 named SCPH-50000, which will

be compatible with DVD movies in DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW and

DVD-RAM format
. In addition, the new model also include a built-in infrared sensor,

which is used for the new DVD remote. The machine also features progressive

scan support, 30% less operating noise from cooling fan, and 400g lighter weight.

Sounds to me like it's just going to be a combo read-only drive supporting all these formats - solely for the purpose of watching movies (presumably "taped" off TV or homemade, rather than downloaded)... Not a word about games, nor a drive actually capable of recording anything.

Wow supports DVD-RAM too... must come with a handy "rip the fucking caddy appart" tool as well. Sony is the l33t. And Sony promoting piracy to increase sales? NEVER.
rolleyes.gif

OK, WHAT'S THIS ABOUT PIRACY?? Just because Sony updates their PS2 with a drive capable of reading more different media doesn't mean it'll be any easier playing backups on it. Original PS2 games still come with copy protection and backups will still require a mod chip or whatever else it is people do with their PS2 systems. How is any of this "promoting piracy" on Sony's part???

You'll have a wider choice of media to choose from when buring your copies? *shrug*

Hmm. Good thought.
smile.gif

BUT, I can just see Sony locking out anything that isn't a movie if the medium inserted is any kind of rewritable disc as opposed to write-only... It would be easy to do that...

Back