Doom 32x style really blows!

Its even slower then the version I have for my jaguar!

Havent played it on the saturn. I heard the music is different on the saturn version or something like that. Damn I'm a freak.

Originally posted by Digdug2600@May 24 2002,17:20

Havent played it on the saturn.

Don't bother. It's really bad.

It's got to be one of the crappiest ports ever.

Doom 32x is much better than it's Saturn counterpart, though it has fewer levels and lower quality music and it's not full screen.

I don't know, the 32X version isn't so bad..... especially if you strap on an Aura Interacter vest!

I love to wander the hallways of doom and feel the chain gun pumping lead into a Cacodemon!
smile.gif

I personally think that the 32X is the second best version of DOOM. Beaten only by the PC version. I've played every port of DOOM except for the Saturn, and I think that the SNES is downright awful.

I loved doom for 32x, it came with the 32x i got, and was the only game i could find/afford for awhile, so it was all i could play, too bad there were only 17 levels though.

The saturn version run at 7fps or something. The 3DO version runs at pretty much the same speed as the Saturn version.

And the movement is jerky as hell. The PSX version was the only that got it's ass saved from the massive slowdown

It seems the raycasting graphic engine, from the PC version, was replaced by a polygon based engine on the Jaguar, 3DO, Saturn and PSX versions with little to no optimization. So the polygon count hogs the consoles, being the PSX the one that could handle it faster.

The 32X version and the Snes version still uses the raycasting engine. That's why even the Snes version has better framerate than the Saturn version.

I've played -every- version of Doom, and I can say without a doubt that 32X Doom is the WORST. Even the SNES version was better.

I havent yet played the 32x version but the 3DO has great music on doom. but it is slow but you can get used to it after awhile, but its still slow...
tongue.gif
Saturn sucked bad at doom. PSX was not very much fun playing doom either...the only 2 Doom I liked was for the PC and for the N64.

It's been a while since I've had a working Jaguar, but I seem to remember the Jaguar port of Doom being pretty decent, though not great.

Both, SNES and Saturn Doom, sputtered along in framerate. And both had poor sound effects, with Saturn making it sound like it slowing the game and the SNES choking on its sfx.

The Saturn had better graphics, obviously, didn't care for the new music at all. The SNES has the worst graphics for a Doom game, but its saving grace was the heavy-on-the-bass music.

Doom for 32X suffered from lack of levels and weak music. It didn't suffer as other two did in framerate or sound effects.

Back