DOOM

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
Originally posted by "Saturn version"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Saturn version")</div><div class='quotemain'>60 levels of brutal, bloody, pulse-pounding action.

The most popular PC game ever created is finally available for Sega Saturn. It's DOOM in all its guts and glory. It's 60 levels of brutal, bloody, pulse-pounding action. It's Deathmatch-ready with 2-player link capabilities. And it's going to totally, completely BLOW YOU AWAY.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-"32X version"

All Hell has run amok! Monstrous demons from another dimension use their gruesome talents to turn your space station into a blood-splattered slaughterhouse.
  • They got black magic. You got fire power. Fireballs and lost souls face shotguns, chainsaws, and rocket launchers!
  • Virtual reality point of view slides you smoothly through the haunted chambers and corridors of Doom.
  • Butcher the hordes of Hell. Or get butchered, if you don't have the skill and pure guts to SAVE YOUR SKIN!
[/quote]

Movie: Doom (2005)

Release Date: October 21st, 2005 (wide)

:devil :flamethrower:

Attachments

• DOOM_32X_FRONT.JPG
    DOOM_32X_FRONT.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 168
  • DOOM_32X_BACK.JPG
    DOOM_32X_BACK.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 188
  • DOOM_SATURN_FRONT_USA.JPG
    DOOM_SATURN_FRONT_USA.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 173
  • DOOM_SATURN_FRONT_PAL.JPG
    DOOM_SATURN_FRONT_PAL.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 168
  • DOOM_SATURN_BACK_PAL.JPG
    DOOM_SATURN_BACK_PAL.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 181
Whoo! Doom! :bow

One of the best games ever made bar none. So much fun! Though I never did get to play any deathmatch. :(

The 32X version was pretty good for its time, but I find it pretty much unplayable now. Also missing a couple levels, IIRC.

Originally posted by it290@Thu, 2005-10-20 @ 12:01 AM

The 32X version was pretty good for its time, but I find it pretty much unplayable now. Also missing a couple levels, IIRC.

[post=140880]Quoted post[/post]​

Wasnt it also missing the really big gun thingy? or something... I thought it missed out mroe than just a few levels.

32x version uses only one SH2 (68K for joypads checking and the other sh2 as a crap sound cart emulator)... A shame... Direct port of the PC game... Could have been fullscreen 30fps without any problem... :'(

Else, The missing things (in addition of levels) are the monsters sprites... they are always looking at you (there is only front picture)... This is annoying :) maybe cartridge space/price problem :D Also its interesting to see that the boxes-artworks shows monsters from back... I'm sure all was rushed in 4 months :p

This is one of my *fav* 32x games... So gloomy/dark places inside ... I spent several hours trying to get 100% secrets on each map :p

i never played the saturn verison much but i remember the 32x version being the first game i bought for the system it also lacked a save feature but you could select the level you wanted to play i never did deathmatch with doom did the saturn version support that? by the time i started playing i was deathmatching in duke 3d

*edit

after posting this i looked up on ebay for doom on saturn so i could give it a try and there is a seller with new copies of saturn doom for 4.99+3 ship(shipping in the us) heres a link for people like me that never got doom when it was new

http://cgi.ebay.com/DOOM-Sega-Saturn-NEW-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

i plan on pickin one of these up :cheers

The frame rate in Saturn Doom gets horribly bad in the later levels. I still enjoyed it, but it should have been so much better. :(

The PlayStation version of Doom is the best one you can get.

Same soundtrack as the Saturn version, but without framerate problems.

The Saturn and PSX versions are the same. The reason behind the Saturn version's framerate is because the game was optimized for the PSX hardware, and GT just ported it over to the Saturn, without optimizing it for the Saturn hardware.

Doom never once scared me, yet when I played PSX Doom a few months ago when I bought it, it did get me a couple times.

Includes most levels from Ultimate Doom and Doom II (50+)

All new lighting effects

30 frames per second

New, 24-channel stereo sound

New cheat code exclusive to the PlayStation version (X-ray vision)

Deathmatch and Co-op with the link cable (This was included in the PAL Saturn version, though not in the NTSC Saturn version).

I had Doom 64 for a couple years, and played it a lot. One thing I liked was that PSX Doom has the same sound effects as that version. The monsters look great in the PSX version as well. When it's real dark, and Pinky comes at you, and all you can see his his green eyes. AH! Shoot the damn thing! :unsure: Scared me a couple times.

I think the Japanese Saturn version has a much better framerate than the US version, as well.

Originally posted by fonzievoltonov@Thu, 2005-10-20 @ 06:05 AM

This is one of my *fav* 32x games... So gloomy/dark places inside ... I spent several hours trying to get 100% secrets on each map :p

[post=140887]Quoted post[/post]​

:cheers THAT is the real deal man!

thw psx version was nice, but now I prefer doom using doomsday. I have to see the xbox version, included in doom 3 collectors edition (it should arrive at my home in 2 weeks)

I saw it Friday with my friend Brandon.

They changed the BFG from green to blue! :rant

It's a combination of Doom and Resident Evil. Doom, weapons, atmosphere, and enemies. But the enemies are human genetic experiments (Except the zombies) ala Resident Evil.

The FPS view point near the end of the movie is actually quite cool. I wasn't expecting anything from that, because it was the most hyped part of the movie, but I was pleasantly surprised. Felt like I was watching a demonstration of HoTD or Virtua Cop.

As for enemies, you got the Zombie, Imp (No fireball though :( ), Pinky, and the main enemy of the movie (That is until the end... Can't spoil it :p) is the Baron of Hell ala Knee-Deep in The Dead.

I greatly enjoyed it.

The 32X port was pretty crappy. Music sounds terrible compared to the PC version (despite the fact that the Genesis has a better FM chip). It had the entire first episode and a chunk of the second episode (so you got about half the full game) which is pretty sad considering the entire first episode was available as shareware for the PC. If they had used a 32Mbit cart I'm sure they could have thrown the rest of the second episode in. Oh well. I suppose I can't blame them for not putting a huge amount of effort into it.

Well, they could have used (at least) genesis to render sky and weapon... And main SH for tracing/engine and sub for drawing :D

And bam, here i'm sure to get 30fps/fullscreen instead of 75% fullscreen and 10-20 fps...

I guess we can blame a bit because they made a special SNES version while the 32x version is direct port from computer code without any effort around optimisation (the crap fps and not fullscreen).

Anyone tried the Genesis version that one guy announcd in the internet?

So if the 32X version of doom is so much crap (at least it's faster than on Saturn...), then it would make sense to port Doom on your own. And maybe Duke Nukem and others, too :) .

For raycasting (100%software), saturn is almost as fast as 32x (28 vs 23mhz)... Saturn might be slowdowned because they used a compression for sprites maybe...

Well, i dunno for saturn.

> to port Doom on your own. And maybe Duke Nukem and others, too smile.gif .

Haha, i can feel your sarcastic reply...

For doom, if we get the 32x game code (100% in C, i had confirmation), yeah, a job can be made at least to increase FPS and then go fullscreen.

>Anyone tried the Genesis version that one guy announcd in the internet?

Was a fake, isn't it?

At least, the screenshots were 100% fake (what a joke, they were all exactly 64 colors or something like that)

Originally posted by fonzievoltonov@Tue, 2005-10-25 @ 01:57 AM

For raycasting (100%software), saturn is almost as fast as 32x (28 vs 23mhz)... Saturn might be slowdowned because they used a compression for sprites maybe...

Well, i dunno for saturn.

> to port Doom on your own. And maybe Duke Nukem and others, too smile.gif .

Haha, i can feel your sarcastic reply...

For doom, if we get the 32x game code (100% in C, i had confirmation), yeah, a job can be made at least to increase FPS and then go fullscreen.

>Anyone tried the Genesis version that one guy announcd in the internet?

Was a fake, isn't it?

At least, the screenshots were 100% fake (what a joke, they were all exactly 64 colors or something like that)

[post=141038]Quoted post[/post]​

i remember playing the genesis version of duke 3d i think tectoy from brazil made it when the genesis was in its final days lets just say it wasnt good : /

Back