DOOM

The Genesis port of Doom was a hoax. The 68000 was a beast of a processor for it's day, but Doom is a bit much for it.

The Genesis Duke Nukem game is crap compared to the PC game, but it's pretty impressive for the Genesis. Compare it to Zero Tolerance for graphics. Duke Nukem has a bigger "3D" area on the screen and generally looks more impressive.

I dunno, ADoom (Amiga Doom port) runs (albeit quite slowly) on a 14mhz 68020, and that's with ceiling/floor textures, plus it has to do chunky to planar conversion. I think it could do okay on the Genesis, running as well as Duke3d at least.

A 20MHz 68000 can do about 2 MIPS (according to freescale's site). A 20MHz 68020 can do about 6 MIPS (estimation based on 10 MIPS at 33MHz) so a 68020 is about 3 times as powerful as a 68000 at the same clock speed and a 14MHz 68020 runs at close to twice the clock of the 68000 in the Genesis putting us somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 times more powerful.

Even so, there's another Amiga game called Ambermoon that runs nice and smooth on an A500 using a wolf3d-type engine (again without floor and ceiling textures, you can turn these on for more powerful machines), although the 3d view is only about 1/3 of the screen. DOOM would certainly be more taxing with its non-90 degree walls and multiple levels of height, but I think it's still within the realm of possibility. Maybe not enjoyable as far as playability goes, but still possible. Now that I think of it, there was also an Amiga demo called TextDemo that IIRC ran smoothly on an A500 with stairs, ceilings, and floors, although for an A500 you'd need a reduced view area and pixel doubling turned on. Check it out here:

http://main.aminet.net/gfx/misc/TextDemo57.lha

Hmm. I loaded it up on WinUAE with the Match A500 Speed option checked (but with 68020 emulation since I've only got 3.0 ROMs on my computer at the moment) with 8MB of chip and ran like a dog and that was in a small box in the middle of the screen. This is what the readme says:

The engine is targeted at the high-end machines. My goal is to

equal or surpass DOOM no matter what the costs (in terms of

memory or processor power). Although by lowering resolution and

screensize this engine can be run comfortably on 68020 machines,

a 68030 (or better) and some FastMem are highly recommended.

There's a big jump between Wolf3D class games (which the Genesis is clearly capable of doing given Duke3D) and Doom. I really doubt you could get a Doom-esque engine running at any reasonable speed on a stock Genesis.

I think using the SEGA CD VDP for scaled and rotated sprites, cool FPS games should be possible.

BTW: are there any first person shooter games for SEGA CD? Or any other games using polygons except silpheed?

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Thu, 2005-10-27 @ 06:23 AM

Battle Frenzy (a.k.a. Bloodshot)

[post=141129]Quoted post[/post]​

I got that one for Genesis. An early review of the CD version stated, that it did not feature any speedup over the cartridge version. Framerate was it's biggest problem.

I tried Duke Nukem 3D for Genesis on emulator. It's better than I expected, much smoother and bigger screen than other games like this one. But regarding the levels, I can't see any similarity to the Duke Nukem 3D that I know from Saturn...

Hmm. I loaded it up on WinUAE with the Match A500 Speed option checked (but with 68020 emulation since I've only got 3.0 ROMs on my computer at the moment) with 8MB of chip and ran like a dog and that was in a small box in the middle of the screen. This is what the readme says:

Hmm, I think there is a 2x2 pixel option (IIRC, haven't used tried that demo in a long time), that shoudl speed it up a fair amount. Also, not sure how accurately this is emulated, but chip mem is much slower than fast mem in an actual Amiga. I concede the point that it's crazy, I just don't think it's totally impossible. ;)

2 reasons

1. Not everyone who had a 32X had a Sega CD so it would limit the potential market

2. The 32X only has 256KB of program RAM and cannot directly access any of the RAM that comes with the Sega CD making a Doom port incredibly difficult.

Suprised at the lack of love for 32X Doom - it's the jewel in the 32X's crown. I still love it to this day, and has a very constant, if not particularly high, framerate that shows the Saturn game how it should be done.

A 32XCD version would have been top, providing developers with the storage space for more levels and higher resolution textures.

Shocking that the port doesn't use both CPU's though... reminds me of the Saturn port of Alien Trilogy.

Saturn game is attrocious. Such a jerky butchering of a game should never have seen the light of the day in the post-Exhumed era. Lobotomy's produce shows it for the attrocity is was.

I think the 'jewel' title would have to go to other games such as Virtua Fighter or Virtua Racing. I know those (along with MK2) get a lot more time in my 32X than DOOM does.

If i remember correctly, Wolfenstein was planned for genesis... Too bad it never get relased.

I don't understand why there isn't any wolf on 32x... a quick port to get quick money was really attractive ;)

So, no one confirm the segacd CPU is used in bloodshot on segacd to increase speed?

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Thu, 2005-10-20 @ 04:05 AM

Whoo! Doom! :bow

One of the best games ever made bar none. So much fun! Though I never did get to play any deathmatch. :(

[post=140874]Quoted post[/post]​

Great game still playin it today... awesome..

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Fri, 2005-10-28 @ 05:54 AM

Suprised at the lack of love for 32X Doom - it's the jewel in the 32X's crown. I still love it to this day, and has a very constant, if not particularly high, framerate that shows the Saturn game how it should be done.

Well compared to the PC version, the 32X version is pretty crappy. Certainly it's in the top tier of 32X games, but that doesn't say much for the 32X.

A 32XCD version would have been top, providing developers with the storage space for more levels and higher resolution textures.

You definately would not have seen higher resolution textures on a 32XCD version. There just isn't enough RAM to go around. It's debatable whether there's enough RAM to make a working port at all.

Back