Dreamcast vs. crappy controller

I have a couple of friends who dumped three completely fine Dreamcasts on me... for repair. The same thing is definately wrong with all three of them. One of my friends had a controller (he doesn't know which one) which broke port A of three different machines. Two of his own and a third belonging to another friend. Anyway, they all work fine except they both exhibit the same symptoms. Port A doesn't work in any of the three, and they all come up with the 'set date/time' screen when powered on. Is this a common fault with an easy solution, or should I just keep the machines for parts? In short, what broke? Any help would be appreciated.

Dreamcasts have a rechargable internal battery. If the battery is dead, it will display the "set date and time" on power up. If you leave the system running for awhile, it should recharge the batteries. Of course if that doesn't work, something else could be wrong. No idea on the conroller port though.

Originally posted by RadSil@May 12, 2003 @ 07:56 PM

I have a couple of friends who dumped three completely fine Dreamcasts on me... for repair. The same thing is definately wrong with all three of them. One of my friends had a controller (he doesn't know which one) which broke port A of three different machines. Two of his own and a third belonging to another friend. Anyway, they all work fine except they both exhibit the same symptoms. Port A doesn't work in any of the three, and they all come up with the 'set date/time' screen when powered on. Is this a common fault with an easy solution, or should I just keep the machines for parts? In short, what broke? Any help would be appreciated.

The controller board just has a burnt out resistor on it that attaches to port A. Just replace it and the system will be all fine.

Err, are any of the controllers cheapo third-party ones? I've never had this happen to me, but supposedly its much more likely to happen with 3rd-party pads. I dunno, I've had multiple controllers with rumble packs and VMUs running at the same time without trouble, but they're sega-made. I mean, there's no point fixing it if its just going to break again.

That's a nice and simple fix.
smile.gif

Anyone know more about how this failure occurs? It seems that some controllers must cause a current spike when they are connected, since it doesn't seem to be a problem with sustained current. ISTR hearing also that the component that fails is not actually a resistor but a type of resistive fuse, anyone know if this is the case?

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 19, 2003 @ 10:32 AM

Anyone know more about how this failure occurs? It seems that some controllers must cause a current spike when they are connected, since it doesn't seem to be a problem with sustained current. ISTR hearing also that the component that fails is not actually a resistor but a type of resistive fuse, anyone know if this is the case?

Well it's theorized that this happens when you insert (or remove) a controller with a VMU and jump pack inserted and that as soon as you insert it the game causes the jump pack to vibrate. This combined power spike is what blows the resistor. It's though that the damage is cumulative so it takes several such instance for it to fully blow. This would also explain why most people don't see anything out of the ordinary in what they're doing when it actually happens.

Back