E3 Coverage

Gamespot's coverage is OK, but their web site is crap. So is their system of basic/complete membership and their horrible download software... but a lot of the videos you can obtain elsewhere once you know what you're looking for.

I've always been a big fan of gametrailers.com. I don't know how frequently they update, but they do have several of the more recent E3 movies up. And I never have any trouble downloading from them.

game-media.com is another site I found painless to use. Updates seem rather slow, however.

I stumbled onto a free link to the live streaming Nintendo presentation... that was pretty cool. The DS actually seems promising, I was expecting it to be a Virtual Boy but it looks like it could actually fare well. Realistic Zelda was definitely a crowd pleaser, as was Halo 2 of course. Conker Live and Reloaded was a game that caught my eye... I loved the original.

There are quite a few E3 movies being distributed in torrents aswell, though they probably are just stolen footage from pay sites.

---Ammut

Originally posted by Ammut@May 13, 2004 @ 02:31 AM

Conker Live and Reloaded was a game that caught my eye... I loved the original.

Wait a sec - I'm confused... Rare made Conkers BFD right? And after the N64 they left. Now, Nintendo are going to use Rare copywrited material (Conker)?

Or is Rare back?

Rare holds the conker license, not nintendo. The game will be developed by Rare (xbox 2nd party) and released on Xbox of course.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@May 13, 2004 @ 01:51 PM

Rare holds the conker license, not nintendo. The game will be developed by Rare (xbox 2nd party) and released on Xbox of course.

Oh, so Rare isn't back with Nintendo.. 🙁

On the plus side I dont have to have another SFA on my Cube'.

I think N did the right thing in getting rid of rare. They freed up TONZ of money and what did we lose? 2 licenses....perfect dark and conker. I believe N kept the JFG licence which is my fave of the 3. They didn't lose any cool games or money. Rare has been exclusive w/ M$ for a LONG time now and they had games in development before they even went over there! Pretty shitty company IMO.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz+May 13, 2004 @ 11:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pearl Jammzz @ May 13, 2004 @ 11:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think N did the right thing in getting rid of rare.[/b]

They got rid of Rare?

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@May 13, 2004 @ 11:56 PM

They freed up TONZ of money and what did we lose? 2 licenses....perfect dark and conker.

Last time I checked (N64 days), Rare was an asset to Nintendo, not a liability -- why was is necessary for Nintendo to throw away Rare?

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@May 13, 2004 @ 11:56 PM

Rare has been exclusive w/ M$ for a LONG time now and they had games in development before they even went over there!

I haven't been paying attention 😛

<!--QuoteBegin-Pearl Jammzz
@May 13, 2004 @ 11:56 PM

Pretty shitty company IMO.[/quote]

Isn't there any games developed by Rare you enjoyed? Bummer.

Of that list, the only game I thought were good are: JFG, the DK games, and the original Killer Instinct. Lots of crap. And the company cost Nintendo lots of money to keep.

What? You didn't think Pirates! was good? Okay, it wasn't really a rare-developed title, but heh. The Battletoads games were classics, as were GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. But yeah, they have made their share of lousy games. The only thing really remarkable about Conker was the graphics, IMHO. Their output has gone downhill, but I still don't know if Nintendo was all that happy about losing them.

I'm sure they weren't. After all, Rare developed all of the newer DK games. Even though Nintendo owns them and will make sequals, Rare is the one who made the game awsome. Time will tell if Nintendo can replicate that greatness. As for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, I am not a huge FPS fan on consoles. I do agree that Goldeneye was good for what it is. And I should have included Battletoads on my list. I loved that game back in the day.

They were more than happy to get rid of em, haha. The did shit for the last 3 or so years they were w/ em. They also took up HUGE ammounts of money, which when they left can be used for a couple of dev houses.

Yes they made sum badass games, but most the people who made em left. Rare doesn't have hardly any people they did from back in the N64 days. It really is a good thing for them to be w/o Rare.....look at all Rare has done since they left *looks around and sees nothing*

Anyone have a list of the licenses that Rare owns that Nintendo didn't get? I know Conker and Perfect Dark for sure. I know Nintendo owns DK but beyond that I have no clue. Can anyone fill us in?

k, now I see where your coming from, PJammzz - the company has since turned to shit, making no good games as of late. So now they are a shitty company :blush:... I'll go with that.

Nintendo still lost them, they didn't discard them. There's a difference. They still have the capability and talent to produce good titles, and may well do that in the future - for Microsoft. So I wouldn't rip into them just because they aren't Nintendo's now.

Back