Editing colour pallettes

Several Genny games have horrible colours that I would like to change. I am using Gens Kmod to extract a bin with the cram and then I try to find the values in the rom with Hexpose. I can´t find where the colour pallettes are... Could someone help me?

use the "special DMA feature" in KMod and look where the CRAM is filled...

but you'll be able to do that only if colors isn't compressed

I have tried several games and I got things like "VRAM of 3 bytes from FFF908 to 0024 CRAM", but this talks about the video memory and not the rom, isn´t it? I need to know the place in the rom where the colour values are stored. Some guys are doing something similar with NHL94 but they only say where the colour values are and not how to find them.

That appears to be moving values from 68k RAM to CRAM. So, you need to look for code that places values into RAM $F908 to find out where the game gets those values from.

I am afraid I don´t know enough things to do what I want. The pallettes may be compressed and then it is harder than simply changing "0CCC" to "0CCE". Anyway, thanks for your replies :cheers .

I was able to do it :banana . It was as easy as changing "0EEE" to "0ECC" in a hex editor. The real problem was to find the ofsets where the colour values were stored. You only have to take an screenshot with an emulator and write four or five colours (in the Megadrive format) of a sprite, background... on a piece of paper and then look for those values in a hex editor. Remember that the format is 0BGR not RGB.

Table

Megadrive Pc RGB

0 0

2 32

4 64

6 96

8 128

A 160

C 192

E 224

I know that Gens Kmod have an option to see the pallettes and tiles, you can even take a screenshot but they have wrong values even changing the contrast to 90 (please Kaneda fix this). Then it would be even easier to find the right pallettes.

PD: I am changing the colours of a very popular game with great (it´s my opinion) results, when I have more changes made I will release a modified rom or an ips for you to see ;) .

Yeah, some people like to expand $0EEE to $FFFFFF, and some people prefer not to stretch the values, leaving $0EEE at $E0E0E0. I am the latter type of person.

Originally posted by Kaneda@Fri, 2006-03-17 @ 07:09 PM

what what what ?

which pal problem ?!!!

tell me tell me!

[post=145152]Quoted post[/post]​

If you do not change contrast to 90 in Gens you get brighter colours than the real ones (e.g. 248,255,248 instead of 224,224,224). In debug/VDP you can see all the pallettes and tiles, if you take a screenshot and you look at all those colours they are still brighter than they should (even changing the contrast).

Back