Ever thought of doing this?

I starting thinking about this yesterday. I want to buy a digital pojector and hook it up in my room and project it onto one of my walls (I'd put a screen up on). So I can play Saturn, Computer or DVD movies on a HUGE screen. It would be so cool, like having a theater!! It would even be easy to turn on it's side for 4:3 ratio shooters :) If I ever save up enough I'm probaly gonna do it.

Anyone else ever thought about doing this?

You can do that if you want but the room needs to be REALLY dark and the wall needs to be completely blank... you could actually just get one of the media projectors that hook up to a computer and use that with an emulator..... those only run a couple hundred dollars.

That sounds like a really cool idea. I played Wolfenstein 3D a long time ago in my computer class on the projector. It kicked ass.

One thing; I remember in some Nintendo game manuals it said the game would damage "Projector TVs" with it's repeditive motion or something like that.

Why?

That's what I thought the s-video and composite in's were for. So, I can't get a computer media projector, is there any kind that would work or something you can do so it won't harm the unit?

That was true for Rear Projection TV's, the type that take up lots of real estate on the floor. But not so for the computer projection devices.

Quote: from venom on 5:02 pm on Jan. 18, 2002

I starting thinking about this yesterday. I want to buy a digital pojector and hook it up in my room and project it onto one of my walls (I'd put a screen up on). So I can play Saturn, Computer or DVD movies on a HUGE screen. It would be so cool, like having a theater!! It would even be easy to turn on it's side for 4:3 ratio shooters :) If I ever save up enough I'm probaly gonna do it.

Anyone else ever thought about doing this?
[/b]
Heh, I thought about a few years back, when I first saw those types of projectors during the time when I worked for the IT department for my work study back in college. ;)

As for using them with video games, check with the manual or the product's tech support first.

I always wanted one to watch movies, n' such from my pc, as for games, I don't think i'd enjoy it too well.

and cynnamin; a couple hundred dollars? Where? I thought these things were 1500 and up.

The thought of being able to do this kind of thing has come upon me before. But the idea that it might be able to happen in my own house was the new point. Also, I hate flipping my TV for playing Battle Garegga and Strikers, turning a projector on it's side would be much easier.

As for price, I looked on ebay and some used ones are going for reasonable prices. Maybe I'll just steal one from my school...

Console's would damage a rear-projection TV by causing 'burn in'.. ie; some icon is on screen in the same position for so long it actually etches itself on to the refractive media of the 'screen', thus, ruining it... TV's in general can do this.. #### look at an old pacman arcade game, bet you can see the maze even with power off..

But, computer media projecters are specifically designed to avoid this, or at the least minimize it. I mean, they're designed to sit and show the windows desktop for the duration of a 3 hour demo session. Burn-in isn't an issue. Provided you can afford one, it'd be fine.

We own 2 where I work.. On fridays, we've been known to hijack one and attach it to a DVD-enabled laptop to watch movies, and I actually hooked my xbox up to one of em one fine saturday when I came in to work 'extra hours'.. 6 foot high DOA3 rocks..

Alot of home theatres are being installed based around these things.. They're pricey as ####, a bulb for a good one can run 600 bucks.. But the price is less prohibitave than say a wide screen plasma display or other type of giant ass tv..

My future home-theatre plans include a projector.. They just plain rock.. And the room doesnt have to be totally dark.. how dark it has to be depends on the reflectivity of the surface you're projecting on (btw, they have special phosphorous-laden paints for this purpose) and how bright the projector is..

Bottom line: Works great, even if the price is wasteful for just home-console use.. (plus too hard on the eyes for extended play sessions, IMO)

Shop around... I had one I purchased used from an office supply place for about 200$ that I used for a few months with a school project then they bought it back from me for almost the same place. You're just looking for a regular media projector that you can hook up to a pc or a laptop.

I need one with composite or s-video in so that'll probably cost me more. Anyway, thanks for the help I'll try pick up a nice used one when I get time. I'm putting this on the shelf until my exams are done next week so don't expect many posts.

Now that I think of it, it would be kind of neat to play Phantasy Star II or IV through a projector where he party members are as huge as I, and I'd pretend like I'm right there with them.... awesome. I guess I could try I or III but I don't think the effect would be as good as II or IV

Hehe I beat all of you =) I played death tank in my A+ class at Boces on a projector. I wanted one so bad but at the time they were like $3500, atleast the one I saw.

I tried the fresnel thing. Doesn't work that well, but I was too lazy to paint the inside of the box to reduce the glare so that might have contributed. Aparently if you do it just right it's supposed to work pretty well.

Yeah, I took a look around and a good projector can be really expensive. And I don't know if I trust ebay for something that expensive. Maybe some VR googles would do the trick instead.

Back