Faulty jap saturn and some questions

Hi

I bought a white Saturn from ebay which was sold as spare or repair as the lad had plugged it in to a UK power supply and blew it.

So I thought I might of been able to fix it by swapping the broken psu for a UK psu as I do have a few spare parts around. So I powered it up and the light came on as well as the time and date screen.

But after I put the date in and clicked ok it only got up to the screen that says Sega Saturn then went black.

It also seemed to have a mod chip in it with a ribbon cable leading to the cd board and another cable from the opposite side of the chip leading to the motherboard. Well I removed the chip anyways and just used a standard ribbon cable. The CD spins but the machine crashes so I thought it could be the laser so I turned the orange screw and now I was seeing more of the Saturn animation boot screen. But nothing else more, I haven't been able to get in to the control panel on the boot screen.

Does anyone know if the laser is broke would that cause it not to boot in to the menu? I know on UK models if the drive door is open then the menu screen will appear but this is a jap model...

Would a laser from a UK machine not work????

Thanks for any help...

Gav

Are you sure that it is a modchip you've just disconnected? It might be a jump board, or the fault might be in the BIOS chip can you provide some pictures?

Ok i will get some pictures up then soon but yeah i was thinking the bios chip might be gone if i cant get in to the menu...Well if its a pc trap board?What is that for?? the board does have some writing on it which i think says "stkeyv1" if that means anything... It was on the right hand side of the saturn with a piece of cardboard taped under it..

Originally posted by Gav_da_man12@Fri, 2006-02-17 @ 08:08 AM

the board does have some writing on it which i think says "stkeyv1" if that means anything...

[post=144459]Quoted post[/post]​

ST key is used to play import games and it's not a chip but a cartridge as far as I know

Yeah i know that is what i read aswell which is whats weird about it...Ok im taking pics in a moment so they should be up soon...

Cheers

Originally posted by orta@Sat, 2006-02-18 @ 12:26 AM

ST key is used to play import games and it's not a chip but a cartridge as far as I know

[post=144461]Quoted post[/post]​

there used to a mod ch!p called St Key that I saw in Japan...

Back