Finally made a working modchip

It might be cheaper to buy a board from eBay with a Spartan/FX chip setup instead of designing a custom PCB. You can always change the pinout in the VHDL to match since a pin assignment file isn't provided anyway. It might involve more troubleshooting, but should save you in the long run. I think I may try a board with a Spartan6 if I ever have the time and money.

...although a custom circuit board would be very helpful for the connectors and inverter chip. As well as to keep it as small as possible.

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome would be replicating the connector's that go into the saturn motherboard and cd drive. If you really wanted to you can hand solder the components to one of these guys: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-printed-circuit-board?variant=5717555397 or something similar....

Then if anybody happens to own a 3d printer already (don't go out and purchase one just for this, you would likely lose money in doing so lol, this is strictly for fun), the connectors could be replicated that way. If my memory serves me well, the saturn modchip is using a PIC16 microcontroller which I'm already familiar with. Rather than trying to write your own code though that injects the proper authentification string, why not just plug the PIC16 into a compatible PIC programmer and dump it? Why "reinvent the wheel?" Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure PIC16 doesn't support encryption, so it should be fairly easy to dump and reflash to another PIC16. I just so happen to have a bunch of PIC16's brand new lying around although I need a new programmer. I'd be willing to play around with this stuff, but the only part I can't do is make those ribbon connectors. I'm out of school for the summer later this month, so after that I'd have a lot more free time to devote to something like this.

EDIT: the board I linked to above its much larger (physically) than what you would actually want to use, but just wanted to give an idea of what I mean.

I think the biggest hurdle to overcome would be replicating the connector's that go into the saturn motherboard and cd drive.
Flat flex connectors are available everywhere, you just need to know the pitch and number of positions.

Rather than trying to write your own code though that injects the proper authentification string, why not just plug the PIC16 into a compatible PIC programmer and dump it?
That'll work, unless the chip has had the security bit set. You also need to dump/reverse engineer the equations from the programmable logic chip.

Flat flex connectors are available everywhere, you just need to know the pitch and number of positions.

That'll work, unless the chip has had the security bit set. You also need to dump/reverse engineer the equations from the programmable logic chip.

Good to know (about the flex connectors).

As for the security bit, I wasn't aware the PIC16 supported that..... I'll have to get a new PIC programmer and see if I can dump mine over the summer....

There are ways around the PIC16 security, but they are a little dangerous to the micro-controller. However, since I've never needed to try, I can't comment on their effectiveness or risk. Just going by memory, I recall the majority of the inexpensive techniques involve slightly damaging the chip (e.g., applying voltage spikes).

There are ways around the PIC16 security, but they are a little dangerous to the micro-controller. However, since I've never needed to try, I can't comment on their effectiveness or risk. Just going by memory, I recall the majority of the inexpensive techniques involve slightly damaging the chip (e.g., applying voltage spikes).
Well maybe we'll get lucky and mine isnt protected. I bought it ages ago from Sega Style. Its the type that you need to mod the hell out of it if you wanna put it in a model 1 XD. Luckily i have a model 2 lol. If i can mabage to clone this chip at least we would have another seller (myself) of the satyrn chips besisides console goods. I woukd just make them to order like @cafe-alpha does with his custom carts :p

Hey. Sorry for bumping the old thread but did anything ever come of this? I'm thinking of approaching an electrical engineering student at the university I attend and handing them this and asking them to help me prototype this and simplify it.

Back