First Doom 3 review is out!

Originally posted by it290@Jul 15, 2004 @ 07:11 PM

Nope. Now go sit in your corner.

You can't speak on behalf of the rest of the boards. :smash There's got to be at least one other person that isn't excited about Doom 3. It's just a FPS, it's not going to be groundbreaking.

Originally posted by IBarracudaI@Jul 15, 2004 @ 07:57 PM

yes, it will :p

I disagree.

There will be a crosshair in the middle of the screen, when you move the mouse, that crosshair will move, combine this with the left click on the mouse and you have a first person shooter. That's how it's been for over ten years and no new texture mapping is going to impress me.

Maybe I'm overly negative, but I haven't been able to enjoy a FPS since I came to this conclusion, back when the WWII game onslaught began.

Yes, and you are just another person with two arms, two legs, and a brain, just like pretty much everybody else. ;)

Originally posted by it290@Jul 15, 2004 @ 09:22 PM

Yes, and you are just another person with two arms, two legs, and a brain, just like pretty much everybody else. ;)

Hey, all I'm saying is FPS is a simple genre, with little room for innovation, and does not hold my interest. Obviously everyone disagrees. Why don't you counter with a comment that proves me wrong, instead of just twisting my words around?

Hey, all I'm saying is FPS is a simple genre, with little room for innovation, and does not hold my interest. Obviously everyone disagrees. Why don't you counter with a comment that proves me wrong, instead of just twisting my words around?

While I do agree with you that FPS games have gotten a bit stale, and I don't think Doom III is going to set the world on fire (at least not to the extent that the original did), the same argument could be made about many game genres. Personally, I don't think a game needs to be incredibly innovative, as long as it's fun. People have complained in the past that all platformers are the same, or that all shmups are the same. Yet both genres are still fun to play. I feel the same way about FPS games. My point was merely that Doom III is not 'just another FPS'.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyGoon)</div><div class='quotemain'> mountaindud - this is Doom we're talking about-- why are you even thinking about a stupid crosshair? [/b]

The crosshair wasn't the point.

Originally posted by it290@

While I do agree with you that FPS games have gotten a bit stale, and I don't think Doom III is going to set the world on fire (at least not to the extent that the original did), the same argument could be made about many game genres. Personally, I don't think a game needs to be incredibly innovative, as long as it's fun. People have complained in the past that all platformers are the same, or that all shmups are the same. Yet both genres are still fun to play. I feel the same way about FPS games. My point was merely that Doom III is not 'just another FPS'.

Fair enough. I see where you were coming from.

<!--QuoteBegin-mal

I'm with mountaindud. I couldn't give a rat's arse about Doom III.[/quote]

Thank you, I knew there'd be at least one person who agrees with me. Although, I'm really more skeptical about it than anything. I'm still interested somewhat.

Doom 3 looks okay. I'm sure it won't live up to the hype, but it might be fun anyway. I've only played Half-Life a couple of times, so I can't say I'm dying for HL2 either. I'm more looking forward to Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. But there's a good chance I'll be disappointed by that too. Then again at this stage, it's more about who I play with than what I play.

Just upgraded my computer for free :)

athlon 3500 939pin

abit av8 motherboard

geforce 6800gt

Ah, the perks of owning a business :ph34r:

I'm going to have to upgrade soon too. I'm getting a Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB, another stick of RAM, and a fan so I can finally overclock.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Jul 19, 2004 @ 09:34 PM

Just upgraded my computer for free :)

athlon 3500 939pin

abit av8 motherboard

geforce 6800gt

Ah, the perks of owning a business :ph34r:

free or "free"?

Back