Fixing a defect genesis(Megadrive)

Hi,

i've bought a used genesis console, actually it is a megadrive, but that doesn't matter i think. It's a pal version of the genesis. For i have plenty of geness, actually megeadrives, i know that the equipment that i use to connect it works properly and is allright, so are the catriges.

If i turn the megadrive on, i'll get the led lighting up, but on my tv screen only appears a black screen with some little distortions, the distortions may come from the cable or from the machine, but the real problem is the console itself, for it only procuces a black screen as a output.

The distortions into the black screen are looking like some points, whichs are in more or less equal distances from one another like aligned on slowly descending lines, approx, 200 at all.

The dots are moving. up the screen slowly.

If i plug in a headphone, i get no sound, only a what i think is a static noise, with sound at max, its not that loud.

I opened up the megadrive, and found a pcd which is to my eyes undamaged (i am no expert for electronics) <--- actualy i own a soldering iron and do not know how to use it right, but thats the reason why i wanna fix it to learn stuff.

On the pcb there is a text

IC BD M5 PAL

If more information is needed, please feel free to ask.

I would be thankful if anyone could help me finding the part to replace repair whatever.

Thanks

If you are using your ac adapter from your Genesis, to power your Megadrive, then straight away your only getting 110volts. The PAL Megadrive (from europe) will probably require 220volts. Also what games are you using to check? Unless you fit a 50/60hz switch you will only be able to play PAL games on it!

The ac adapter would blow up anyway if it was the wrong voltage junker. Once its into the megadrive/genesis its all the same voltage.

Most pal games, apart from newer ones, work at either 50 or 60hz. If your not in PAL land its more than likely your TV set isnt supporting the PAL signal coming from the console.

Sorry,

at first i want to thank you for your fast answers, but there was a misunderstanding which is proably my fault.

Theres really something wrong with the Megadrive, for I live in a PAL Environment and and all my games are PAL and my the voltage is right too. Maybe I wasn't as clear as I should have been at this point.

I just used both terms, Megadrive and Genesis for I assumed they are kinda equal except for the 50/60 Hz thingie. I also used both terms for I didn't know how widley the fact is known outside of europe, that this PAL Version is not called Genesis, but its the same.

Sorry for that,

In short words, its a Megadrive, not a Genesis, connected in a PAL Country to PAL Equioment only.

I used a Sonic Catridge for I didn't know if a broken Megadrive could damage a catridge.

Mhh, actually the pcb is very dirty, I am gonna check this out, maybe it works.

Thanks for the hint, I'll post as soon as I know if it was working

Back