Flashing Saturn Bios?

I'm thinking of getting myself a white Saturn, the problem is I don't know what it looks like on the inside. And if it can't be modded then I'll just switch the insides with my other Saturn. If I do so, I will have the European bootup-sequence, and I like the Japanese Saturn-logo a whole lot more. So it's just a question of appearence. But still pretty important to me.

And I've seen some downloads of Saturn BIOS in the emulation-section, and I was wondering if it will be possible to flash the original Saturn BIOS, if the "problem" I'm mentioning above is avoidible that is.

And if I do, will my Action Replay still work on my "new" Saturn (EU -> Jap)?

I have some other questions regarding the white Saturn. There was a white 3D-controller released in a package with NiGHTS, was it not?

Does the console keep white (keeping it out of sunlight, smoke, whatever) or does it get yellow over time despite how well you treat it?

Originally posted by Twillinx@Feb 27, 2003 @ 08:01 PM

I'm thinking of getting myself a white Saturn, the problem is I don't know what it looks like on the inside. And if it can't be modded then I'll just switch the insides with my other Saturn.

You can install a mod board in a white Saturn. I know I have.
biggrin.gif

If I do so, I will have the European bootup-sequence, and I like the Japanese Saturn-logo a whole lot more. So it's just a question of appearence. But still pretty important to me.

And I've seen some downloads of Saturn BIOS in the emulation-section, and I was wondering if it will be possible to flash the original Saturn BIOS, if the "problem" I'm mentioning above is avoidible that is.

IIRC the bios is on a mask rom. You need to get a suitable eprom and a rom burner to change it. After much tricky soldering it should work.

Then you'd need to worry about a 60Hz mod...

Japanese Saturns are cooler, aren't they?
smile.gif

And if I do, will my Action Replay still work on my "new" Saturn (EU -> Jap)?

Your AR will work on any Saturn.

I have some other questions regarding the white Saturn. There was a white 3D-controller released in a package with NiGHTS, was it not?

I've got one of them too.
smile.gif

Does the console keep white (keeping it out of sunlight, smoke, whatever) or does it get yellow over time despite how well you treat it?

I think it will stay white if you treat it right.

I'm most concern that there will be scratches or discoloration in the surface of the console. But since it's out of the box the guy just have to check it out.

Yeah, just worried that they might be like the European ones, look alike on the outside and then you get a shocker once you open it and find no IC to solder to or the 64-pin one. Or are they all 32-pins *hope so*
blink.gif

Feels like Christmas day all over again (just better) knowing I will get myself the White Saturn.
biggrin.gif

But I'll probebly have to wait till Autumn to get my hands on a working version of Panzer Dragoon Saga, wich I STILL haven't played.

Originally posted by Twillinx@Feb 28, 2003 @ 09:42 PM

Yeah, just worried that they might be like the European ones, look alike on the outside and then you get a shocker once you open it and find no IC to solder to or the 64-pin one. Or are they all 32-pins *hope so*
blink.gif

I don't know if they are all 32 pin, but I know mine was.

It has a slightly different CD board from my Euro Saturn and they didn't seem interchangable.
sad.gif

It wouldn't work using a Lik Sang/Lan Kwei mod and the 'A+B' method either. Fortunately the 32 pin IC is fairly easy to solder to.

Back