Free 3D engines for DC or SAT?

Hi all,

I've been checking out 3D engines on the PC and Dreamcast of late and was wondering if anyone knew of some free engines for DC or Saturn that I haven't found yet. I know the DC has Iris3D, but beyond that I haven't heard of any others for Saturn or DC. There's also one on the PC called Irrlicht that looks like it could be ported to the Dreamcast with some modifications (primarily an OpenGL driver for the engine), but there's still some research to do on that.

The main reason I ask is, I don't have the desire or the know-how :huh to write code for hardware-specific tasks, and if I tried it would take me forever :damn: . However, the two 3D engines I mentioned above have APIs that make doing things like displaying a 3D mesh on the screen greatly simplified (as simple as saying "load this file") without having to know the intricacies of the hardware itself.

Any insight on this is most welcome :bow

I wouldn't port a 3D engine to DC if Iris is good enough. A port would have to be rewritten quite a bit to work well/at all on the DC. I can't think of any other freely available 3D engines for DC, though coders are working on a number of projects recently, so who knows. Speaking of which, they extended the DC homebrew game contest by a few months.

Back