Freezing Problems

Can anybody help me because i recently purchased a Model 2 Saturn which BIOS revision is PAL-C-V1.01a

When i first bought it it froze everytime on the startup screen (when the bits break up and form the saturn logo)

Then i smacked it really hard on the side, and for some reason, it worked.

But now it freezes again and now if i smack it again it still freezes and then sometimes it just works without touching it.

I also have a problem with the controller jack, when a game starts, and it says "Press start" i have to lift up the connector and press start otherwise it wont detect the controller, and then after that it is fine.

Can anybody please help me because i really like my saturn and when it works the games are great.

Thanks

Matt

I don't know if a faulty bios would cause intermittent problems like that. Was there a modchip installed?

If I were you I would open up the saturn and check if any ribbon cables are loose\corrupted. The only time I ever had bootup problems on the saturn was when I damaged some of the pins on one of the ribbon cables.

OK, what does the mod chip look like on the mobo?

has nybody got any clue where i should be looking for it either?

and 1 more question lol

how can i fix it?

A mod board is a small circuit board that would be connected to the ribbon cable from the CD board to the mainboard. However, this should not be confused with a "PC Trap" which was used in later Saturns.

If you could get us some pics of the inside of your Saturn it may make things a little easier.

[attachmentid=1576]

[attachmentid=1577]

Hi again, here are the pictures after taking apart my saturn.

I dont know if they help.

Cheers

Attachments

• Saturn_CD_Board_on_its_own.JPG
    Saturn_CD_Board_on_its_own.JPG
    553.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Saturn_Mobo___CD_Board_on_Mobo.JPG
    Saturn_Mobo___CD_Board_on_Mobo.JPG
    663.8 KB · Views: 128
I'd be unplugging the ribbon cable (both ends), the other cable that goes to the CD board, and removing the PSU and then putting them all back again.

I don't think that any of the connectors would really need cleaning, but the process of disconnecting and reconnecting them should be enough to make sure that they're making good contact.

If you end up requiring a new cable RitualOfTheTrout has some in stock. He managed to get one for me ^.^

I tend to treat those white wires with a large degree of respect - they can be nasty at the best of times, as any 32X owner can attest. Bending them isn't going to help matters.

Originally posted by saturn_xtremist2006@Thu, 2005-11-03 @ 12:22 AM

wow, i never knew there are so many people that still own and play a saturn.

that is so cool lol.

[post=141316]Quoted post[/post]​

If that doesnt help i have heard that the power supply in the saturn can crash the system if it isnt working properly. It will usually crash when under load like when the laser moves to read outside of the disc but im not sure if the PSU is the definite problem.

Back