Fucking Right!

I rarely post here, but damnit I just had an 18wheeler pull up to my house and drop off my new car('83 Benz 240d).. I've been waiting like a month, sucker started like a champ and runs nice and smooth.. And I got a freakin moonroof, how bad ass is that?!?

That is all.

f1_12.JPG

Moonroof is like a sunroof except it's automatic. The tires pwn you. Now I just need the damn title to come in so I can do more than drive it around the block.

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Sat, 2006-03-11 @ 06:49 AM

Moonroof is like a sunroof except it's automatic. The tires pwn you. Now I just need the damn title to come in so I can do more than drive it around the block.

[post=145043]Quoted post[/post]​

Sunroof

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A sunroof is an opening in an automobile roof. Sunroofs may be either fixed or operable.

Historically, sunroofs have been opaque and open to the air to allow the sun to shine directly into the vehicle, while moonroofs have generally been transparent or semi-transparent and designed to remain closed while allowing muted light to penetrate the vehicle.

Variations have become the norm and often combine the features of the Sun and Moon types into a single device. It is not uncommon to see tinted glass that can retract fully like a traditional sun roof, remain closed like a traditional moon roof, or tilt to allow for airflow.

Modern implementations often include a sliding shade that usually matches the internal roof upholstery and provides a way of essentially hiding the sun/moon roof behind it. The American Sunroof Company is often credited for creating the modern moonroof.

Sunroofs can be manual or electric. Manual sunroofs are usually flipped up to create a small opening around the edges, or are removed completely. Electric sunroofs either flip up and slide back on top of the roof, or down and into the roof. An electric sunroof will have the facility to be closed manually if the motor or control circuitry fails.

I used to drive a 83 turbo diesel mercedes in high school. The acceleration was godawful, but once you got it to around 60-70 it was a dream to drive.

I have 87 300 diesel turbo. Good lord was it a blast to drive.

Now it's more or less bouncing from garage to garage, no one knows what the hell is wrong with it.

Congrats! They truly do NOT make them like they used it. And it has a heavy alternator, you can put some wicked audio equipment in it.

Speaking of Diesels... I'm really debating getting the 2006 VW Jetta TDI Diesel

Seriousily though... what are your guys opinion?

I'm looking at it this way:

1)I've loved VW and Mercedes since I was a kid... MB is just way to expensive for me

2)Diesel engines get much better fuel mileage (the Jetta TDI has been reported by drivers to get them up to 55 MPG on flat highway... I live in FL so it's all flat highway here)

3)Diesel engines last a long ass time

4)VW are some very safe vehicles... not on the level of Volvo, but again price comes to mind again.

5) My very good friend and mechanic is a genius with all engines... but his expertise is in Diesels for 20+ years now. (he actually works as a diesel mechanic for a *cough* "family" based out of the northeast)

Diesels can also run off of waste vegetable oil (which you can get for free with a little work) with relatively minor modifications.

I've heard the repair statistics on VWs haven't been very good lately though and there aren't a lot of options when it comes to new diesels in the US.

Actually it requires no modifications... if you wanna pour the shit right in your fuel tank. It also can be mixed with your regular petrodiesel to improve how well it lubricates and increase its efficency. Though I really don't plan on doing that at all... yeah it does work, but really no one knows what long term effects it may have on my brand new car.

Also, there is only 2 brand new sedans in the US that are diesel. One by MB and one by VW. Coincidence? (my first reason for choosing VW)

What are these repair statistics you've heard? That is the big reason I'm getting a new car. I drive a 2004 Ford Focus... I've had it for exactly 2 years (24 payments made) and I had to put it in the shop thursday for alternator failure and computer fuck ups; thank God for warranty... only a 50 dollar deductable.

I was under the impression that you needed some kind of heater to keep the vegetable oil from congealing in cold temperatures. I suppose in Florida that would be less of a problem though.

My boss subscribes to consumer reports and has mentioned that the repair rates have really taken a nose dive on VW as of late, but I don't know the specifics. He has a 99 Passat which was supposed to be pretty reliable model by VW standards and it has had a number of electrical problems (seems to be largely related to water getting where it shouldn't be, but it's hard to be certain).

I don't know who's word to take on the reliability factor.

First off: My very good friend and mechanic Sean says that when it comes to major damages (tranny, the engine in the diesel range and other massive damages are very limited and at very high mileage).

Second: I've been reading around the web (of course... at 23K I'm not running out and buying it on a whim) I sometimes read the same thing... but similar suggestions I read is to get a Honda Civic for reliability... *cough* yeah the thing will "drive" for awhile... but NOT RELIABLE!

Hrmm... I may look into a volvo... safe vehicle and if they hold the same standards today as they did in the past the things can be driven to the moon and back.

Originally posted by lordofduct@Mon, 2006-06-12 @ 04:53 PM

I don't know who's word to take on the reliability factor.

First off: My very good friend and mechanic Sean says that when it comes to major damages (tranny, the engine in the diesel range and other massive damages are very limited and at very high mileage).

Well, I haven't heard of any problems with the engine or transmission, just with the electrical system. However, the kind of electrical problems VWs have can prevent the car from starting (this happened to my boss' 99 Passat when it started having electrical problems). I don't know if the electrical problems are common in the diesel models though.

Second: I've been reading around the web (of course... at 23K I'm not running out and buying it on a whim) I sometimes read the same thing... but similar suggestions I read is to get a Honda Civic for reliability... *cough* yeah the thing will "drive" for awhile... but NOT RELIABLE!

Hard to say. The statistics in Consumer Reports suggest that Toyotas and Hondas have relatively few major problems compared to the competition, but I don't know how much I personally trust CR's numbers. It's hard to get a feel of overall reliability from "anechdotal" reports (even from mechanics) as a model that is very popular could show up in the shop more often due to the high numbers of the car in the field not necessarily because it is less reliable (1% of a large number can be bigger than 10% of a smaller number).

My family has had good luck with Saturns, but its hard to say if that is truly representative of the majority of Saturn buyers. Don't know anyone with a reasonably recent Volvo so I can't give any input there.

Today I learned some important information. A friend of mine's father works out of country, he basically goes to factories of a small group of car manufactures including VW to whip em' into shape when they start falling behind on quality. Anyways... he was moved down to the Mexico factory about a year ago to whip it into shape

Mexico is where a large part (about 40% so it says on the sticker I read on the car) of Passat and Jetta parts are made... meaning... well basically confirming what you said. I mainly was geared at the long term quality of VW vehicles and not really looking at the last year or two (as I don't have a lot of information in that area). This information here though makes me go... hrmm, lets looks else where.

Damn it... and I SO wanted a Diesel.

I think I'm gonna look at Toyota. I just got off the phone with him before coming here and he said they are good... just like you Mask. (Volvo was to far out of my price range... I can afford 30K, it just feels weird spending that kind of money).

Thanks man!

Ugh... I'm very undecided about all this.

I want a NEW car. I want a reliable car. I want a decent looking car and I'm willing to pay upto 24 or 25K cash in hand for it...

but I can't decide what. The Volvo S40 fits right in that price range but I can't find a lot of information on those... I only have my own information I've put together over the years; i.e. safe, reliable and can be driven into the ground (but with the failure of my knowledge of VW makes me doubt myself).

The Toyota just cries very bad things to me. Personally I don't like Honda or Toyota... for the price I'd be paying for the sedan I want would have me pulling out of the lot going "I paid 20+K for this?!"

Of course I can easily fine something very reliable and beautiful and meets my bill perfectly... except one thing... a 35K and up price tag. I'm not paying that for a car.

Back