GameCube Emulation Already!!

This is no news to me but for others may be. Yes it is real. You can also get the video here, don't need to sign up to see the video - video is zelda: ww which shows emulation of the title screen. Has some missing graphics and graphics glitches. It has also been sped up for viewing purposes - this is not the current speed of the emu. There is no release of the emu yet (it is still a work in progess), but it is not fake. In regards to the emu, it is rather new and despite that has already emulated part of a commercial game. Holds promise, I'll tell ya that :ph34r:

Well, GC emulation isn't as hard as you might think : the SDK is fully documented, and it contains everything needed for emulation purpose ...

yeah I was pretty impressed when I saw the vid the other day.

considering only a couple weeks earlier, it wasn't even running a commercial game, it's pretty impressive.

Well, GC emulation isn't as hard as you might think : the SDK is fully documented, and it contains everything needed for emulation purpose ...

yeah, but getting this SDK might be a bit of a problem for most of us :p

hmm, that might explain why i've run into GC games for download. When i saw them i was like "wtf? Stupid Warez people...you can download and distribute the games, just not run them on anything...."

I don't think this will do much to nintendo's sales if it gets up and runnning great though with the new GC pricing and all...then again people could play for free illegally on their computers whereas with the GC they'd still have to pay... ah we'll see how it turns out. I know I sure wouldn't mind trying this emu out once its runnin fine, but I plan on buying a gamecube soon and this wouldn't affect it negatively in the least, it would push me to buy one more if anything.

in short,

new emu= :cheers

New ways to pirate and rip off nintendo = :bs

---Ammut

It's gonna be a while til this thing is near perfect and to the point where it will hurt sales.

It would be worse if the console itself was hacked and pirated games could be played.

But heck, look at the PS2 and XBox -- those have been hacked for years and they are still doing fine.

As always, it's a question of numbers. If say 10% of the users pirate you're going to hurt a lot more if your total userbase is 800000 versus 8 million. (All figures invented.)

LoL, fast reply there Racket.

I just brought up the $$$ stuff cause it was on my mind that Nintendo has taken its first loss in revenues ever this year and I don't want that to get worse :( Its bad enough that Sega is out of the console bizz, if Nintendo went too and left just Sony and M$ that would suck...

Getting over the negative thinking, I think that this is actually good news and I hope the project goes well. Just imagine if a port of this emu eventually wound up running on a modified xbox though, how trippy would that be?:blink:

On the piracy note, Nintendo has done extremely well with its consoles. Its simple approach to the GC (don't let cds/dvds fit) works extremely well lol... especially when compared with Xbox and Ps2 elaborate protection that is relatively quickly broken. even the panasonic GC never has been able to run games so Nintendo obviously knows what it is doing...which is not always evident in other departments such as relations with 3rd parties and marketing for more mature gamers.

---Ammut

Originally posted by antime@Oct 16, 2003 @ 05:22 PM

As always, it's a question of numbers. If say 10% of the users pirate you're going to hurt a lot more if your total userbase is 800000 versus 8 million. (All figures invented.)

I'm not really thinking 10% of any of the modern system's users have modchips

Originally posted by racketboy+Oct 16, 2003 @ 08:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Oct 16, 2003 @ 08:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-antime@Oct 16, 2003 @ 05:22 PM

(All figures invented.)

I'm not really thinking 10% of any of the modern system's users have modchips [/b][/quote]

Trouble with the ol' reading comprehension?

Nintendo themselves claim the half-year loss they reported was mainly due to the yen-dollar exchange rate.

Originally posted by racketboy@Oct 16, 2003 @ 08:31 PM

oh another example -- GBA piracy is fairly rampant.

but yet GBA games sell very well

Dunno if GBA piracy is all that common - those flash carts are expensive and pirates are cheap. And apart from the few emulators for PocketPCs and the like you can't really play emulated Gameboy games on the move.

Originally posted by antime+Oct 16, 2003 @ 05:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ Oct 16, 2003 @ 05:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by racketboy@Oct 16, 2003 @ 08:30 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-antime
@Oct 16, 2003 @ 05:22 PM

(All figures invented.)

I'm not really thinking 10% of any of the modern system's users have modchips

Trouble with the ol' reading comprehension?

Nintendo themselves claim the half-year loss they reported was mainly due to the yen-dollar exchange rate. [/b][/quote]

sorry -- that's the trouble with skimming :p

Oh yeah? Well... I've already got a Playstation 4 emulator, and they haven't even released the system yet! (or even invented it yet for that matter.) :p

But seriously, a friend of mine actually replaced the hard drive in his Xbox to fill it with all the emulators possible including N64, etc. It is like a million systems in one, but it sucks because you are limited to the xbox controller. Sometimes, people (like me) are willing to pay the price for the real thing.

I dont know much about it, but I believe there is a way to upload and execute data in the PSO game using the BBA. I believe there is a limit on exactly how much data you can upload, but its still pretty neat.

Originally posted by dibz@Oct 16, 2003 @ 08:30 PM

I dont know much about it, but I believe there is a way to upload and execute data in the PSO game using the BBA. I believe there is a limit on exactly how much data you can upload, but its still pretty neat.

sounds kinda like the XBox no-mod hack

The principle is similar. The hole was originally exploited as a way to run homebrew code on the Cube, then Eurasia (I think) released some kind of lib-patcher loader that boots a GC program and redirects disc accesses over the BBA back to the host. From what I've heard it's rather buggy (lots of stuttering music and lockups), and I somewhat doubt it will ever be a viable way to get fr33 g4m3z d00d! It's more of an interesting technical achievement, kind of like the first GBA emulator.

Back