Games that check the security ring twice.

Cloud121

Established Member
Which games check twice for the security ring? The only one I know of is Alien Trilogy.

Also, how do you get around it with the swap? (Probably a dumb question).

I'd say some Acclaim games do double ring check, I can't remember which one :(

My stupid answer is : Do double swap trick ;)

So I'm clearly a couple months late to this thread, but what the heck.

I'm fairly certain that Discworld checks the security ring twice.

what do you mean, check the ring twice? Sorry for bringing this up again.

But how do they check twice?

Can these games be played via swap?

Cause I have Alien Trilogy (original disc) and I would like to back it up (it was pretty scratched when I got my saturn)

Hmm, are you sure these games are double checked? If so, when does the second check occur? I remember Dino Crisis on PlayStation going back for a second check after the game boots and Capcom logo is displayed [if the check failed, you would get a message informing you that something went wrong. It was easy to bypass though, by doing a second swap. Modchip owners wouldn't even notice it].

Saturn games lacked any kind of proper protection except for the ring. While PlayStation had its libcrypt [easily cracked for those who know what they're doing, but you could no longer do a 1:1 copy on the protected games], Saturn had nothing of this kind. There are a few titles which refuse to boot fully if you have any kind of cartridge inserted [Panzer Dragoon Saga for once. Boots with memory cart, won't boot with additional RAM / Action Replay / GameShark].

Well.....I checked some of mine.

Gonna check some more soon.

Here are my finds so far:

- Mortal Kombat 2 (checks 2 times)

- Fifa 98 (checks 2 times)

- Alien Trilogy (not sure, but I thought I heard 3 checks)

well did a check on ALIEN TRILOGY

downloaded the US version just now and it checks the ring 2 times

the european version (which I own an original disc of) checks 3 times!!

I downloaded it cause the original disc was pretty scratched and I wanted to back it up in case the original didn't work anymore.

btw. another difference between the US and the EUR version is that in the EUR version when it boots, you can choose a language.

In the US version, you can not.

anyone else here adding 2 check games to the list?

Back