Garou: Mark of the Wolves

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
Keeping a legend alive demands testing one's beliefs...

ツステム&キャラー新!!

新生「餓狼」ここに始まる。

Keeping a Legend Alive

Demands Testing One's Beliefs

10 years have passed since Terry Bogard won the King of Fighters Tournament. Since then, many warriors from around the world have been honing their skills, waiting for a chance to win the greatest title a fighter can earn.

Now invitations have been sent to 12 new contenders from around the globe—signifying the end of the their wait and the chance to take part in the toughest contest of martial arts known to man. Only one fighter walks away unscathed, the rest face certain destruction.
  • Terry Bogard returns to defend his crown as the King of Fighters!
  • 11 all-new characters including Rock Howard, son of legendary warrior Geese Howard!
  • 3 New Modes to boost gameplay - Offensive, Defensive and Tactical!
  • Unlock Super Moves and Hidden Abilities for each fighter!
  • Break an opponents' attack to use their special fighting energy against them!

Attachments

• Garou_Front.JPG
    Garou_Front.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Garou_Back.JPG
    Garou_Back.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Garou_Disc.JPG
    Garou_Disc.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 143
  • Garou_Front.JPG
    Garou_Front.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Garou_Back.JPG
    Garou_Back.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Garou_Disc.JPG
    Garou_Disc.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 142
This is probably my favorite fighting game. I've been playing it relentlessly the last few weeks on MVS. It just has an awesome flow and feel to it, not to mention the cool characters, great tunes, and excellent animation. Simple enough for a novice, deep enough for a professional. Unfortunately the DC version is probably the worst version available but it's still good.

What can I say about this game? I have it for the Sega Dreamcast, but I want it for the MVS! Who still sells new copies of them anyways? The animation is superb, the controls feel really light and easy to move around. The backgrounds are extremely beautiful. SNK really outdid itself back in '99.

The DC version feels a slightly off for some reason (few things missing / changed?)…but it's still more than a good translation, and totally playable. No frames missing, or sprites scaled up to be damned…nothing like that. Pretty much, if you haven't played it on SNK hardware you'll think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Plus the DC version gives you a couple extras like an option for arranged music (Bonus!).

I can't even say "given the hardware, this game is excellent!", because this game would be great on any platform, but I gotta say it is really impressive that they were able to crank this much out of the Neo.

It's cool to be able to see little bits & pieces of Real Bout in the fighting engine and some fan service in there. Without a doubt the best version of Fatal Fury, and probably one of the best fighting games ever made. Everything shows insane attention to detail, from the animation to the voice acting…these characters feel alive, and you'll pick a favorite based on their personality, not just on the moves they have.

Character roster is a little small, but each one is fully realized and I can't say one character just destroys everyone else. The best part is that you can play this game as shallow or as deep as you want. It's your choice, you can stick with the quick small rushes, or start breaking moves and hand your foe a one-way tickect to combo city! Hell, for once even the wrestler in a game is good (c'mon…no one actually uses Zangief and expects to win a serious match :p ).

The presentation did put me off a bit at first, but it grows on you…and after looking back, really is stock SNK menu fare. Just wish they would've cleaned it up a bit for the DC release, but that really is just nitpicking.

Guess what I'm saying is: Whether you like fighting games or not, SNK or not, there's no denying the quality of this title…it's a perfect example of a good game, through & through. And if you're not into SNK hardware (or want the game cheap - er), the Dreamcast version is excellent and hardly a compromise. But do yourself a favor and ditch the stock DC pad ;)

Back