genesis 2 audio problems

I have about 6 genesis 2's and several RF adapters, and all of them have the same problem, so I'm wondering if it's a problem with all genesis 2's, or if it's just because they are all old and overused, or if I'm just unlucky.

The problem is the audio when using an RF-adapter. During parts of games when there is (supposed to be) no sound, you'll hear a loud static noise. During other parts of the soundtrack, whenever there's a low bass sound, it comes out accompanied by various degrees of static/hum.

The affect is suprisingly amplified when you use a game genie with the game. The game genie itself has a loud static when on the code entry screen, and parts of the game that only had a soft hum before now have a loud bzzzz.

I can't remember if the audio problem manifested when using the mono-A/V cable (I only have the one that came with the 32x, I can't even remember right now whether it's compatible with the genesis 2). I do remember that when I plugged them into a sega CD, and used the sega CD stereo audio out instead of the genesis audio out, the audio sounded fine I think.

Don't have any problems with my genesis 1's.

Thanks,

JMT.

Mhh,

i once had a noise in sonic, then i found out it should be the sound of the waterfalls.

But I think your problem is with all catridges?

Yeah, with any cartridge I've tried, it has varying degrees of noise at some point during the game or intro, usually when there's low bass sounds or silence.

I get a buzz during silence on my model 2, but not during any other part of gameplay. With my model 1, I have no sound problems whatsoever. Both are using AV cables.

edit - oh yeah, this is with a 32x attached as well. Haven't checked to see if it occurs without the 32x, as it doesn't really bug me.

Mhh, i didn't used a genesis 2 for a long time, actually only to see if it works, for i prefer the original system just for the look and extra buttons. But i can't remember such a problem, maybe its an induction problem of a cable or the hull of the cable may be defect, maybe it is linenoise inside the megadrive, but i don't have knowledge about electronics, but maybe there is a broken capacitor which should prevent peaks on a certain element, but i am not sure if this could cause a noise like this.

On my system, you have to have the volume up pretty loud to even notice it. Actually, it mostly goes away after the 'licensed by..' screen.

Back