Genesis development dead?

Is development for the Genesis dead?

Nothing new has come out in years. I am only aware of Bezerk as a complete game. One would think that homebrewers would have been able to produce at least one or two more.

Is the platform especially difficult to produce games for? OR have the developers abandoned it for Saturn projects?

:(

Scenes get quiet for a lot of reasons. If it bugs you, code a killer demo to inspire everyone. As far as I know, that's the traditional method of fixing it. :)

Just curious : let's say you make a game for the Genesis, how can you run it on the console ? Is there like a "writable cartridge" or something like that ?

Djidjo

If it's a small program and you have a Sega CD, it can be built to be uploaded with Mask of Destiny's link cable and boot disc.

If not, Tototek sells a Genesis flash cart.

The problem the Tototek cart is that it's expensive. Not many people are going to pay $70 bucks so they can try out homebrew on a console that's been dead for nearly a decade. Still I had been seing some more interest in Genesis development before Eidolon's Tavern went down.

Hi,

Sega genesis dev is not dead..

It is just KO.

We have to wake up it.

if your hown a sega genesis dev site;

you may add this ban to your dev page:

segagendevring.gif

and add your site here.

http://fvring.free.digitartstudio.com/inde...ub=lks&ssub=pst

This banniere we make us more reliable for beginners.

Kaneda BMP2TILE is ready... His Map maker is comming soon...

GCC is fine. Whe have sega2.doc.

All is cool now for a wake up.

A demo contest is organized:http://www.emulationzone.org/projects/metalix/board/read.php?f=1&i=573&t=573

>MOD, have you checked my MCD mapping?

Bye

Fonzie

I saw a page recently of this guy who was porting Doom to the Genesis.. seems like a cool project.

You don't really need a flash cart to dev for genesis. I mean most of the genesis emulators out there are very good and accurate at this point. So using them to test out code is entirely possible.

KGen and Gens are near perfect emulation...even bugs ;)

some missing features that i'm currently listing, but else if something works on KGen AND Gens, it'll works on real hardware at 99% :)

it290 : do you still have the url ?

Thats a very cool project.

Unfortunaly, i feel quite septic.

All the pics are exactly 64 colors (even if the exterior clouds are visible or not).

Thats a bit strange (ie; these screens have been forced to 64 colors after the screen shot...).

But its maybe fakes screens of the game.

So, i still hope that this project is true (the genny is able to render that...).

Bye

Fonzie

I'm a little bit sceptical as well, but since the pictures are GIF files, he probably just saved them as 64 color in order to make them smaller. Unless you mean you actually counted the number of colors present in the image and it was always 64. That would be rather suspect. It's also kind of weird that in his desktop screenshot, he has a copy of MSPaint running. ;)

Yes, all the pics have 64 unique colors.

The only answer: He runs in blured mode with gens and decolorized the screens to 64 for the gif format.

Because, for this type of game you can only get a max of 16 colors for the walls and 16 colors for the monsters, 16 colors for the BG, 16 colors for the gun.

Hope its not a fake (because doom on sega genesis should be a enormous jump for the dev community).

what is really suspicious is the full screen background...

for me, it's more a BMP slide show

the only doom-like games on Genny use a line by line draw...and you saw it! not this perfect ugly screen...

I doubt it can redraw at full speed the background...

Kaneda

Ummm, thats a fake.

Kaneda, youre speaking about ZeroTolerance?

This is a great game (a bit small screen but great).

And when you see Duke Nuckem genesis, its a bit better graficaly (full screen) but not as great as ZT.

By speaking about fakes, look at this:

Attachments

• fake.gif
    fake.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 293
  • fake.gif
    fake.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 299
Back