Genesis Emulator for DC

Is there a Genesis/megaDrive emulator for the Dreamcast? If not, would it be possible to create one? If the DC can run WinCE (who would name a product 'wince?' Sounds painful!) can someone port a Windows Genesis emulator to the DC?

Just a stream of ideas on how I can play all of those great Genesis goodies on my Dreamcast.

IIRC, someone tried to port DGen to Dreamcast and found that it ran at under 10fps. I don't think this is a problem with Dreamcast, but rather a result of the fact that a Dreamcast is not a PC, and code structured for PC is likely to be less than great on Dreamcast unless substantially tweaked. As for Dragon (the custom WinCE for Dreamcast), I've heard that it's not very good, and that it was only intended to be used when there was no time for developers to learn Katana.

Quote: from megametalgreymon on 5:22 pm on Oct. 16, 2001

yes, there is the smashpack emulator, which was originally from sega

the sound isnt too great though
I thought that the sound wasn't that bad, full speed and everything; it's just that the pitch is just off a bit, that's all, at least for the games that I've played and took notice of.

No, the sound is bad anyways. Compare Sonic 1 with the PC emulated and the genesis one.

Some effects are missed, and the synth is crappy. Sounds like 11khz. It is just not the pitch.

Add the fact that the emulation sometimes tries to freeze; and I talking about the smash pack.

The only game that is perfect in the smash pack is virtua cop2...and sega swirl :)

They doesn't have info about this emulator because its a rip from the smash pack. Look for Segagen anywhere else in the web.

There was a big rush about this new sega emu someone coded, but supposedly it's nothing more than a rip of an emu sold for the dc...not the smash pack emu though. Too bad. Everyone would LOVE a genesis emu for the dc.....soon, there'll be one

So, with Segagen one could burn a CD with their own Roms and play them on the Dreamcast. But, since SegaGen originally came on the Sega Smash Pack, it is illeagal to make copies of it? Even if you own the Sega Smash Pack and the original cartridges?

I own the Sega Smash Pack and genesis carts. I would like to put two and two together. Like chocolate and peanutbutter. Mmmmm.

Quote: from Kamalot on 4:52 pm on Oct. 22, 2001

So, with Segagen one could burn a CD with their own Roms and play them on the Dreamcast. But, since SegaGen originally came on the Sega Smash Pack, it is illeagal to make copies of it? Even if you own the Sega Smash Pack and the original cartridges?

I own the Sega Smash Pack and genesis carts. I would like to put two and two together. Like chocolate and peanutbutter. Mmmmm.

Its still warez.

The emulator (Smash Pack) was ripped and renamed "Sega Gen" ( thank you 007 cheater for that "marvelous " name), but the fact remains it is and will be warez.

There was another genesis emulator coming along but the author (Atani) lost his source.

Ironic. You would think the genesis would have been one of the first emulated systems on the Dreamcast. Maybe its cuz all the good emus are in ASM ~_~

I don't see how it can be wares if I already own them.

Take board games as an example. Let's say I want to take the pop-bubble thing from the board game Trouble and put it in the center of the Monopoly board. Now the pop-bubble thing can be used to roll the dice instead of the dice that came with monopoly. I owned the pieces already. I had to rip the pop-bubble thing from the center of the trouble board and use it as the randomizer engine in my game of monopoly. What's wrong with that?

Why then should it be wrong to rip the genesis emulation engine from the Smash pack and put it with my own Romz?

technically, that is only legal if YOU rip the emulator from your OWN copy, modify it yourself, and dump all the roms yourself from your own carts.

What is/isn't considered to be fair use probably varies by country. If you're in the U.S., what Arakon said is accurate AFAIK.

Speaking of 007Cheater, maybe I'll actually start looking at dcemulation.com more often now that he seems to almost never post news...

Quote: from ExCyber on 11:48 am on Oct. 23, 2001

What is/isn't considered to be fair use probably varies by country. If you're in the U.S., what Arakon said is accurate AFAIK.

Speaking of 007Cheater, maybe I'll actually start looking at dcemulation.com more often now that he seems to almost never post news...

We ( The older and now Ex-Staff ) Basically banned him from making news posts due to his mistakes ( not just horrible grammar either ) silly peewee herman look a like

Back