Genesis Mk I headphone jack acting up

I'm not an expert on modding electronics, so I'm wondering if maybe someone can help me explain a problem I'm having with my "new" old MK I. (New in the sense that it saw very little use by the original owner.)

When the headphone volume is at a "normal" listening level (you know, around 3-4, so you don't go totally deaf) there's static and interference when some of the lower-frequency (deeper bass) sounds go. For an exceptionally annoying experience, I tried it out with Shining Force it wasn't sounding pretty.

However, if the headphone volume is turned all the way up, this does not happen. I tried it two ways: first with headphones, which I removed from my head and held a couple inches from my ears, and second, by plugging the input plug for my Cambridge Soundworks PCWorks speaker set into it. (The PCWorks are a 2.1--that is, 2 satellite cubes and an amp/subwoofer--sound system that I use for playing console games. Either way, when the headphone output for the Genesis is at full, there's no problem.

I tried opening up the box and dusting everything out with my gas duster, checked the headphone slider for corrosion, etc. and I don't see amy problems, but it didn't help. Any ideas?

Y'know, I have a similar problem, but it just occurred to me that it might be worthwhile trying some of that TV tuner spray on the slider. You can get it at Radio Shack -- it's basically an electrically conducive lubricant. I use it on the faders on my mixer all the time when they start to fuzz up, and it works a charm.

Secondly, the cable you use might be a problem as well.. those RJ11 things are notoriously unreliable, make sure you're getting a good L/R connection.

Originally posted by it290@Mar 12, 2004 @ 08:47 AM

Secondly, the cable you use might be a problem as well.. those RJ11 things are notoriously unreliable, make sure you're getting a good L/R connection.

But then why would the distortion disappear when it is maxed? Also, wouldn't the cable be the same one that his speakers use to connect to everything?

Yeah, it wouldn't completely make sense with the distortion thing/noise thing (although it's still possible.. I've had connections like that with speaker wire where the audio would be fuzzy until the volume was turned up to a certain level, at which point it would get much louder and clearer).

As for the cable, it seems like certain headphone plugs just don't work well/get a good connection with certain jacks.. I have one headphone patch cable (which works fine hooked up to my computer) that produces horrible sound when I tried using it with my Genesis/Sega CD. I also have a similar situation on my Mac where I ended up using an extension because the 'L'-type connector on that set of computer speakers didn't fit far enough in (resulting in one channel sound), whereas the straight plug on the extension works perfectly. Those things really need a class fit to work properly.

Well, he did try his headphones on it as well. He could try the spray you recommended. If it was the jack itself, how hard would it be to replace it?

Probably fairly easy, although I haven't looked. Although it sounds like the slider is the more likely culprit.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that spray and try it out.

As for the connection, I'm pretty sure I've used different sets of headphones to see what happens and I get the same problem.

Back