Genesis/Sega-CD/32x hook-up problem

Dud

Established Member
I have two cables used to hook up my Genesis rig. Regular audio cables going to the Sega CD, and a 3rd party cable (Video, Audio-Right) to the 32x. I want to get rid of the red connector on the genesis/32x cable, but when I don't plug it in some sound effects don't play. Does anyone know what pins to pull out of the connector to get this to work?

is this a genesis 1 or 2. sounds like a 1.

there is a mixer cable required to go from the headphone output on the genesis one to the mixer input on the back of the sega cd. This is required for the genesis internal sound to get played. all it is, is a male/male double sided headphone midi cable thinga ma bob doo hicky (yeah i dont know the technical term).

Originally posted by lordofduct@Jun 29, 2004 @ 02:23 AM

is this a genesis 1 or 2. sounds like a 1.

there is a mixer cable required to go from the headphone output on the genesis one to the mixer input on the back of the sega cd. This is required for the genesis internal sound to get played. all it is, is a male/male double sided headphone midi cable thinga ma bob doo hicky (yeah i dont know the technical term).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Thanks! :cheers

you need a y-splitter, to combine both stereo channels into one mono output, cheap, $5 or so, and looks ilke this:

42-2536.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=42%2D2536

Originally posted by Link Hylia@Jun 29, 2004 @ 04:49 PM

you need a y-splitter, to combine both stereo channels into one mono output, cheap, $5 or so, and looks ilke this:

But I want Stereo sound. :( I don't think that will work either.

I'm working on this issue again, and I've got another problem. I tried making a mixing cable out of the ends of two old headphones, but the wires inside are really strange. There are two insulated wires and inside one is green stranded wire along with regular copper wire strands, and the same thing in the other insulated wire only with red instead of green.

I figured since the colored wire is touching the regular wire strands, that they go together. So I twisted them together and matched up the two ends green to green/red to red. At this point I tested it with a multimeter. Right audio on one connector has a path to right audio on the other connector, but it also has a path to the left audio and to the third area in the middle.

Anyway take a look at the picture to see what the problem is. If you know how to do this, throw me a bone. I'd appreciate it.

What you'll probably find is that the coloured wires are left and right and that the plain copper ones are ground wires.

The colouring is actually an insulation layer. I'm not how the colouring will correspond though... it could be maritime terminology

Red = port = left

Green = starboard = right

but I'm only guessing. :)

just connect color to color, and make sure none of the copper wiring touches the inside wiring of the green or red once its all done up... Making it this way is really hard and degrades sound quality alot, you ever try fixing old headphones whose cord snaps, its a pain. I'd just go and buy one, or rip one off of the speakers on your school's/college/works computer... thats what i did for mine.

oh and red is left, green right, copper is ground. Mal has it right on the mark. i never made that maritime corelation though, i just thought they threw these colours together.

Good idea I just yanked a cord from some POS speakers I never use and now it works. I threw away that piece of crap I was working on. :wanker

This is good, because I can't show my face at Radio Shack for a little while. :D

Back