Genesis to Mega Drive...

Where can I find an adapter that'll let me play PAL Mega Drive games on my Genesis? And will said adapter allow you to play any game on any Genesis, like the N64 pass-through adapter? eBay had jack squat...

Also...how can you "mod" a Genesis to handle foreign games? I know you could do something like that with the SNES and N64...

Cool, thanks! Will PAL games still fit in the Genesis? Or do they have tabs on the bottom (like SNES/N64 carts) that won't fit into a US system?

PAL games are, physically at least, identical to US ones. You only have to do a simple mod to your cart port if you want Japanese games to fit.

Originally posted by segasonic@Sep. 23 2002, 1:25 pm

PAL games are, physically at least, identical to US ones. You only have to do a simple mod to your cart port if you want Japanese games to fit.

How do you do that?

To make Japanese games fit a Genesis you just file out the 2 small tabs at each end of the flap at the rear of the cart port. Easy
smile.gif

Originally posted by segasonic@Sep. 24 2002, 11:34 am

To make Japanese games fit a Genesis you just file out the 2 small tabs at each end of the flap at the rear of the cart port. Easy
smile.gif

Cool, I'll try that eventually (need Japanese games first!). Is that mod switch absolutely necessary for playing PAL games? Or just with certain TVs?

the switch mod requires a scart lead for best effect (not hard to make) otherwise it might appear in black and white. Not that many games have a region protection, that was only introduced later on in the machines lifetime so you will probably find most games work anyway. However you will definatly need to make the mod if you have a foreign mega CD unless it has an arakon multibios installed

Nah, I won't be using Mega CD at all. The main PAL games I'm looking at are Mega Man Wily Wars and Gunstar Heroes (I know there's a US version, too).

Megaman has territory lockout, so the switch will be necessary... I can't remember whether Gunstar Heroes has the lockout, but I suspect it does.

dont know, never used one.

BTW i take chunks out of the japanese cart instead, dont want to ruin the megadrive (again)

Originally posted by soldermonkey@Sep. 25 2002, 4:54 pm

BTW i take chunks out of the japanese cart instead, dont want to ruin the megadrive (again)

ohmy.gif
I just have an old MegaDrive for modding, and a mint one for the collection. Personally I wouldn't start modding the carts. I like to keep em mint if I can, MegaDrives are ten a penny, but the Jap games aren't. Well at least not in Sheffield anyway
sad.gif

Rather than cutting anything - buy a Game Genie/Action Replay and plug the japanese cart onto it. There you go, a cheap game convertor.

I'm pretty sure Gunstar Heroes has territory lockout on it too.

About the cart slot, when I had a Megadrive as a kid I had that mod done by someone and I swear all they did was burn the edges off with a soldering iron (probably ruined the tip). So if you want a crude way of doing it, there you go.

BTW, for Mega Man-the Wily Wars, I'd highly recommend getting a NES and the older games because the music and graphics was changed much for the worse IMO. Megaman looks kind of weird in it.

Originally posted by Myname@Sep. 29 2002, 4:02 pm

BTW, for Mega Man-the Wily Wars, I'd highly recommend getting a NES and the older games because the music and graphics was changed much for the worse IMO. Megaman looks kind of weird in it.

Oh, I'm well aware. I've played it before. I'm just a Mega Man fanatic, and I want to add it to my collection. I'm only missing about 8 games out of the 30-some-odd MM titles that have been produced.

Back