Genesis Transformers

Something occured to me the other day... the Genesis used the big block transformers on the power plugs instead of the simple wires we use today right? Am I to presume the power unit itself is inside the plug? Does that mean I could use a British power unit on an American Genesis fine?

If so, can I use it on a CDX too?

When I read the auto-email I got about this topic, I thought it would be about a Transformers game for the Genesis
tongue.gif

Anyway, you can use any kind of transformer as long as it gives the right output. I believe it is 9V @ 500mAh. But I know I've tried 10 and 10.5V transformers, and that works too.

About the CDX, I don't know.

genny 1 needs 9-10V, 1.2 A

genny 2 needs 9-10V, 800 mA

genny 3 needs 9-10V, 500 mA

SCD 1+2 and wondermega use genny 1 PSUs I believe, while the cdx needs a genny 2 PSU.. 500 mA are likely too weak.

Have you any idea whether normal transformers are compatible with import consoles however?

My theory is that consoles like the Saturn and Dreamcast have the oringe power unit inside the console right? We all know thwt by changing this, you can, say, change a Japanese 110v console into to a UK 240v console - the voltage is determined by the internal unit.

The Genesis does hot have one of these, but it uses one of those big blocks on the plugs... am I to presume it's all inside the plug?

With that logic, I could use my MegaDrive2 power unit on my US CDX with no stepdown and no problem, right?

My theory is that consoles like the Saturn and Dreamcast have the oringe power unit inside the console right? We all know thwt by changing this, you can, say, change a Japanese 110v console into to a UK 240v console - the voltage is determined by the internal unit.

Right.

The Genesis does hot have one of these, but it uses one of those big blocks on the plugs... am I to presume it's all inside the plug?

It's not all inside the plug, but the big drop from wall voltage to input voltage is. Since Genesis takes DC power*, as long as you have a wall transformer with the correct output the Genesis can deal with it. The rest is just a matter of the Genesis having the necessary components to clean up and regulate the "dirty" DC output of a typical wall transformer to something that the actual chips can handle.

*: A few consoles/computers with an external power supply unit (most notably the C=64 and US NES) still take AC power. In addition to voltage and current, AC power alternates at a particular frequency, which is different between the US and Europe. Depending on how the system is designed, it may not be able to cope with a different frequency of AC power.

Hmmm... sounds like I'm gonna need to do some more research, as this is more complex than I was expecting...

Is there anyone who has actually tried this first hand? To be perfectly honest, I just don't want to have to go out and buy a stepdown converter for it, that's all it boils down to. You ever tried buying one of those things? Hard o.o

Back