Getting 2 WAP's to talk to each other

Scared0o0Rabbit

Established Member

Okay, so here's the deal, I build a lot of pc's for people, so I need ethernet jacks down in my work area. There is no way for me to get cat5 down there though. I own 3 belkin wireless access points. 2 are g, 1 is b. My DSL modem also has a built in b or g, not sure which. Does anyone know how to get an 802.11b/g access point to see another access point and talk to it? If this can't be done, can you suggest a way to achieve having a hub down there that's connected to the rest of the network but is wireless?

Interesting, 384k dsl just became available up at this house like 2 weeks ago. I asked if there was anything faster when I signed up here (you all may remember my questions regarding isdn and whatnot a while back), and they said 384 was the max that was available here. Well I just took a look at the modem's connection info and it's telling me it's 1.5, so I just went to test my bandwith on some site, and it reported that I was running at 972k lol. Hurray for sbc and their wonderful stupidity. I guess it's a tradeoff, they're stupid and give me faster internet, but in exchange I have to set up the internet through their mildly retarded software.

This depends if the router can handle that kind of feature/performance. What you're trying to set-up is a access point client, and that feature should be/can be turned on and off in the firmware.

It simply takes the IP the first AP is sending out and rebroadcasts it, and acts as an AP should.

EDIT: previously I called it a bridge, which isn't the case. A bridge works between several wireless points, whereas a client handles only one.

so research at belkin has shown that a WAP can't talk to a WAP so.... do they make 802.11b/g usb network devices? Cause that's looking like my only solution now unfortunately.

Edit: It seems linksys makes them, and they seem to get fairly good reviews. I think I'll be picking one of these up.

Back