Getting Lunar to run on a Model 2

racketboy

Established Member
I kinda knew that some older games like Lunar froze up on a Model 2 SCD, but I was still disappointed when it wouldn't work for me.

Is there anything I can do to get this to run?

Whaddya talking about? When I had my Model 2 SCD, I played Lunar from the intro 'till the credits, and it *never* froze.

I believe there are no games that are model 1 SCD-only. Some (4 or 5 - most sucks) won't work on the CDX, but Lunar isn't one of those

Really? Well either mine froze of I gave up after waiting for it to load after the title screen.

The access light stopped blinking too though.

This is a backup BTW

Here's a snippit from a FAQ on ClassicGaming.com

"Some older games like Lunar: The Silver Star and Dark Wizard

occasionally lock up on the Sega CD2. It does have, however, slightly shorter access times with games such as Lunar: Eternal Blue."

So maybe I was right.

Now can anybody help me???

Sounds like you didn't burn the CD right... was is a full ISO or BIN/CUE... or was it one of those crappy ISO/MP3 things.. if so.. that could be you problem... I have an orginal Lunar 1.. and played from start to end... on a Model 2 Genesis and Model 2 Sega CD and it never froze at all..

I burned it a long time ago.

I THINK is was an ISO MP3

However, I played it on an emulator (while my SCD was in another state) and it worked fine.

Mine was also an original Lunar game (rented).

You said you burning it long ago? Maybe that's the problem. Depending on the CDR media used, the game might get harder to read on the old SCD drive after some time. I have a copy of Silpheed that worked flawless when I burned it. Then, 2 months later, it will give me read errors even during the intro. On Gens it works perfect.

I later duplicated the Silpheed CD for a friend (he was going to use emus, so, there was no problem), and, guess what? My CDX played it from the intro, 'till the ending without any problems. I used a different media, and the game is still playable. You might try re-burning the game on another CD. Might work.

But if you can get past the intro... I think something is wrong the the ISO+MP3 set you got. Lunar is very picky with the audio tracks' length. Sometime ago I burned a copy for myself (to remember the old days), but something went wrong and a few extra pregaps appeared where they shouldn't, making some tracks longer. The game freezes when Ramus first appears, on the CDX, but works perfect on Gens. You might try finding it from other sources, or get someone to send you a working TOC, so you can try to fix it yourself.

hmm ok -- I might just try to get another copy.

When I said a long time ago -- i meant like 5-6 months ago. Long enough for me not to remember all the details.

I ended up getting another copy for somebody else and it still didn't work.

I may just end up playing on Gens once I get my new machine and hook it up to my entertainment center.

OK, I had this problem also. And it WAS on an original, which I still have. Plays fine on a model 1, but on a model 2 it freezes at certain points. Most notably, it usually frezzes immediately after defeating the last boss. Anyway, I called working designs, and they told me they were aware of the problem, and that all I have to do is TAP the cd unit in the upper left hand corner and it will unfreeze the game. Works like a charm every time. Don't do it too hard, as it will cause the game to skip and totally lose track, but if done too light it won't make a difference. Right in the middle. Start off light and get a little harder until it works. After a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Wierd problem, wierd solution, but it works. Enjoy the game.

Originally posted by zx7ninja@Nov. 09 2002, 7:39 pm

OK, I had this problem also. And it WAS on an original, which I still have. Plays fine on a model 1, but on a model 2 it freezes at certain points. Most notably, it usually frezzes immediately after defeating the last boss. Anyway, I called working designs, and they told me they were aware of the problem, and that all I have to do is TAP the cd unit in the upper left hand corner and it will unfreeze the game. Works like a charm every time. Don't do it too hard, as it will cause the game to skip and totally lose track, but if done too light it won't make a difference. Right in the middle. Start off light and get a little harder until it works. After a few times, you'll get the hang of it. Wierd problem, wierd solution, but it works. Enjoy the game.

wow -- cool thanks, man

I'll have to try that soon!

I had this same problem until this morning. Freezing during intro and different parts of the beginning of the game.

I've download the ISO+MP3 and burned a couple different downloads with no success. Then I searched the forums and found the solution.

You have to burn the ISO+MP3 (converted to WAVs of course) with the Track-At-Once option. I used FireBurner to do it. And presto! It works perfectly, intro, music animations and all.

Back