Ghost in the Shell

Curtis

Established Member
Anime Forum? How curious...

Anyway, what do other people think of this great film? I just picked it up on DVD and watched for the first time in ages. Totally blew me away
cool.gif

I'm looking to start a bit of an anime collection - who can recommend other equally good titles?

Yep, Ghost in the shell is quit good ...

As for your collection, I highly recommend 'Grave of the fireflies'.

IMO the best movie on earth :')

"X" was also interesting as well. I still watch Macross Plus 1-4, and MD Geist was excellent too.-(The uncut version) Ghost In The Shell was definitely one of my favorites.

Wow! Anime section in SGX forum!

Akira, Metropolis, Blood the Last Vampire,Oh my Godness!, Princess Mononoke... and a lot more I don't remember

Anime rules!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by sonik@Oct. 11 2002, 12:00 pm

Wow! Anime section in SGX forum!

Akira, Metropolis, Blood the Last Vampire,Oh my Godness!, Princess Mononoke... and a lot more I don't remember

Anime rules!
biggrin.gif

Yeah... as long as it makes sense, and dubbed of course
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Windaria, and Wind Named Amnesia are superb Anime' also, Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, Ninja Scroll, Akira (The Criterion one on LD not the new crappy version on DVD), Vampire Hunter D, Tenchi Muyo, and the best of all Anime' UROTSUKIDOJI 1 and 2. Legend of the Overfiend, and Legend of the Demon Womb. Those are the ones worth getting....Oh yeah, and Crying Freeman was good as well, though the Anime' gets worse and worse through the series....and ROBOTECH / MACROSS is awesome, and Ranma is also great anime' and well....I could go on all day and name all my LDs but I've not got the time.
smile.gif
Oh and I love Ghost in the Shell, I also bought most of the CD soundtracks of Anime' like Windaria, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Ranma...etc...etc...

Blood the Last Vampire was crap.

It started in the 3rd quarter of the series, and ended with no real ending.

Yes, i know there isnt a series, i was using that as an example. You never know WHERE the girl comes from, she just HAS to kill these vampys, but why? Because shes the last vampire.. ok, but WHY is she the last vampire? And the ending?! pfft... the DVD box says 82 minutes long, I remember 45minutes to an hour at the most. 82 minutes, maybe with the DVD extras and ending credits.

Blood was crap.

Oh and FAKK, you're right. The old dub of Akira with Cam Clarke as Kaneda (aka: Leonardo from Ninja Turtles cartoon, and Max Sterling from Robotech) was the better one. Now they sound retarded. Too bad they didnt keep the good dub for the DVD, that would have put it over the top.

serial expirements lain's my fav

oh and URUSEI YATSURA

actually, come to thin of it, besides that a lot of anime's kinda garbage, it's just japanese childrens pop culture garbage instead of american or euro

and yeah, grave of the fireflies is and incredible movie, but goddamn is it sad

and uh, i know i'm not alone in this

DUBBING FUCKING SUCKS!

the fact that most dubbing studios are in canada is really the only reason i can think of for a full scale bombing of the place

except here's greenwood, that dubbed pretty well come to think of it

the proof however that dubbing can never and will never work is monoke himei.

neil gaiman wrote the script, neil gaiman damnit, the guy who wrote the sandman comics and they actually cast somewhat decent actors for the voicce rolls and it's still feeble and downright unwatchable comparared to the original

Originally posted by PUNJABEE@Oct. 12 2002, 7:12 am

Oh and FAKK, you're right. The old dub of Akira with Cam Clarke as Kaneda (aka: Leonardo from Ninja Turtles cartoon, and Max Sterling from Robotech) was the better one. Now they sound retarded. Too bad they didnt keep the good dub for the DVD, that would have put it over the top.

My region 4 "Special Edition" DVD has both the old and the new dub, and the cleaned up visuals look really spiffy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's no good saying to me get the LD version, though - LD never happened in Australia
tongue.gif

I can see the future...I am destitue, but with many anime titles in my collection
smile.gif

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct. 12 2002, 8:38 pm

LD never happened in Australia

Not in your backward part of the country anyway.
tongue.gif

Even then you don't see them around here that often.

Originally posted by FAKK2@Oct. 11 2002, 8:11 pm

Tenchi Muyo

Best...Anime...EVER! I own the complete box set of muyo all the movies, and just puchased all the GXP's that have been released as of now. Just gotta get tokyo and universe and i'm all set!

Originally posted by sizone@Oct. 12 2002, 12:32 am

grave of the fireflies is and incredible movie, but goddamn is it sad

Hey i think i've seen this one but i'm not sure, i remember, if i'm thinking of the right movie, that this was really good though.

Ok I can't quite remember but is it about these two brothers whos parents die/abandon them (?) and they have to go live on their own. They gotta steal things like food and whatever. Then the littler kid gets sick and starts to die.. then he dies right as the older brother is comming back from stealing a watermelon? I dunno is that the right movie?

yeah, that's the one, except it wsa a brother and a sister

so, you think tenchi muyo's the greatest series of all time?

just wait 'till you're old enough to discover hentai you little proto-perv

then you'll pr'lly be down with fakk in saying UROTSUKIDOJI is the best thing ever

Originally posted by sizone@Oct. 12 2002, 12:18 pm

...DO you take me for some kind of fool? I know the finer things in life when i see them
biggrin.gif

Old enough to discover Hentai? I've been a Hentai fanatic since I was 13 (August 2000, is when I started checking it out)
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Originally posted by antime@Oct. 12 2002, 2:41 am

>>>My region 4 "Special Edition" DVD has both the old and the new dub, and the cleaned up visuals look really spiffy.

I have the region 1 DVD, and it is the Special Edition (Tin box one). Damn, i guess I dont have that original Dub. I know i have the Original Japanese dialogue (best) but Id love to have that old version. I just have a DivX of it now.

ya know, the old dub of akira's only really loved for it's camp value

like the rocky horror picture show except without the grossly uneven, bare breasts

Gallstaff Posted on Oct. 12 2002, 11:22 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (sizone @ Oct. 12 2002, 12:18 pm)

...DO you take me for some kind of fool? I know the finer things in life when i see them

yup

demons with multiple penises and lots of blood are definantly up there along with the music of tori amos and knob creek whiskey

Back