Go Sonic

On hearing the news, Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic the Hedgehog said, "I am delighted and extremly honoured that Sonic the Hedgehog has been chosen as the most popular game over the last 30 years, especially against such strong competition. Sonic and I would clearly like to thank the wonderful game lovers that have voted for us. I hope to keep creating games that will be loved by everyone forever.

:wub: :wub: Yuji Naka is da man!!

Go Sonic! And Go SEGA!! :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

I find that list quite accurate, though would have expected Street Fighter II instead of Street Fighter. Hmm.

I'm looking forward to Sonic Heroes :)

Some interesting ones on there...

Never even heard of Elite (#7), Championship Manager (#23), or Manic Miner (#27)

Also curious as to why they chose the original Street Fighter over Street Fighter 2.

Are they just too afraid to choose sequals or something?

SF2 was different enough to be considered "an original"

Originally posted by racketboy@Dec 5, 2003 @ 05:40 PM

Some interesting ones on there...

Never even heard of Elite (#7), Championship Manager (#23), or Manic Miner (#27)

Also curious as to why they chose the original Street Fighter over Street Fighter 2.

Are they just too afraid to choose sequals or something?

SF2 was different enough to be considered "an original"

Its a poll by ELSPA(European video game regulatory organisation) and CVG(UK games mag).

Championship Manager is a huge football(soccer) management series in Europe. Soccer's popularity in US is non existent as far as I know so I'm not surprised if you haven't heard of it.

Elite was out on many formats the most well known one probably being the Amiga. Manic Miner is a very old game which I think came out on the spectrum (or at least something around that time). I'm a bit young to know much about those two but I thought they were well known worldwide.

As for the street fighter thing it seems they put series instead of single games in some cases.

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Dec 5, 2003 @ 08:53 PM

As for the street fighter thing it seems they put series instead of single games in some cases.

Street Fighter 2 pretty much IS a series :D

honestly...what the hell is tomb raider even doing on this list. i don't agree with a lot of the list, but i think the biggest travesty is that tomb raider is on it. Also, where's mario 3? i'd take mario 3 over 1 and maybe even World. I also would say that Zelda 3: A link to the past or Links Awakening should be on the list rather than ocarina. i thought ocarina was pretty poor.

Originally posted by rommaster@Dec 5, 2003 @ 10:28 PM

honestly...what the hell is tomb raider even doing on this list. i don't agree with a lot of the list, but i think the biggest travesty is that tomb raider is on it.

I've never played it personally, but I was thinking the same thing

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Dec 5, 2003 @ 01:53 PM

Soccer's popularity in US is non existent as far as I know so I'm not surprised if you haven't heard of it.

I like FIFA... :(

Originally posted by ratfish+Dec 5, 2003 @ 11:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ratfish @ Dec 5, 2003 @ 11:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-axelblazeadam@Dec 5, 2003 @ 01:53 PM

Soccer's popularity in US is non existent as far as I know so I'm not surprised if you haven't heard of it.

I like FIFA... :( [/b][/quote]

Probably because its a crap imitation of Soccer. Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven is far superior. I doubt that ever got a US release as it would never compete against the EA behemoth in a country that doesnt understand it.

Winnin Eleven 6 International was released in the U.S. for PS2, and it's a damn good soccer game. I know that Winning Eleven 7 is out, but i'm not sure if it got a US release or not. The game really does kick fifa's ass though.

Back