Good place for flat-screen LCD monitor reviews?

Depends on what you are using the monitor for.

Fast moving images like games are best on a CRT.

Static images like text or pictures are best on a LCD.

And LCD's are constantly getting closer to CRT speeds and prices.

it290, you forgot to mention that static images also will suck if you run at anything other than the true resolution of the LCD. Something CRTs do not suffer from. Have you seen 1024x768 on a 1280x1024 LCD before? Its gross. But yeah, even at native resolution, the color interpolation on a lot of these things is sick, and then theres the color balance and reproduction in general...

Also, LCDs arent closing in on CRTs all that fast. The LCD manufacturers use REALLY deceptive numbers. I'd wait until OLED solutions crop up, as a gamer. But whatever, people like buying what they're told to buy, so I see no problem with that. Many people don't even really notice the difference unless its side by side, I dunno, I can tell immediately. Ghosting is such a drag.

Check out http://www.tomshardware.com/display/20031105/index.html, some LCDs are pretty good.

I hear bad things about the lifetimes of OLED screens. Something in the range of only 2-3 thousand hours. But I may just have old info.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Nov 9, 2003 @ 01:44 AM

I hear bad things about the lifetimes of OLED screens. Something in the range of only 2-3 thousand hours. But I may just have old info.

Why do you think they aren't available yet? ;)

Actually they are being used in digital cameras (at least I know Kodak is using them). Since they have such short life times things like digital cameras seem perfect for them.

I'm actually just looking to save desk space. I had already gotten one from Dell at an OK price (Dell 1901FP) but it came defective. It's received good reviews, though. This time, I just want to avoid ordering online so that if anything is broken I can just drive it back.

I do not want to deal with Dell's Pakistani support center ever again. No offense to Pakistanis, of course. It's just that I cannot understand them on the phone.

Here's me trying to get an address to try and ship this garbage back.

Them: T.. as in <unintelligible>

Me: D?

Them: No.. T ..

Me: E?

Them: T...

Me: B?

Why Dell outsources their support is beyond me. It's cheaper, obviously, but just ridiculous. They use scottish colloquial terms like laddie with callers from the US.

Them: L as in Laddie.

I thought they were saying lady but mispronouncing it. :rolleyes:

Back