Goodwill find :-)

VertigoXX

Mid Boss
I just made the score of the year!!! I found a top loading NES!!! I can finaly play my old NES carts again :) You have no idea how good it feels to play TMNT III with a NES controler again instead of my Dreamcast's.

Now, what to do with the SIX non-working model 1's I've got laying around here...

I didn't know top-loading NES's were hard to come by/ expensive. They look similar to a SNES, don't they?

A couple years back, I almost picked up 5 for $15 a piece. The manager at a funco near me found a box of them in the backroom. A stupid clerk told a customer who bought them all, even though I had them on hold. I was pissed; I drove over an hour to get there.

They're not quite as rare as, say, a Turbo Duo system, but about as rare as a SegaCDX system.

See, all the model 1 systems are crapping out because of the connectors bending with age. That doesn't happen in the model 2. So people who own model 2s rarely part with them, and there's plenty of people like me with six bad model 1 systems lying around. Three of those bad systems had brand new connectors installed, too. They went bad in anywhere from 2 to 14 months after I bought them. I finaly gave up and said no more unless I find a model 2. :)

I'm thinking about using the shells to build some emu systems. Maybe see if I can find some damaged-but-working Dreamcast units and install them in the shells with a NESterDC disc in it. I'd just have to figure out a way to change it so it used NES controllers though. I don't know... I'll see what I can come up with when I have time to actualy do something with them.

schi0249 said:
A couple years back, I almost picked up 5 for $15 a piece. The manager at a funco near me found a box of them in the backroom. A stupid clerk told a customer who bought them all, even though I had them on hold. I was pissed; I drove over an hour to get there.
Yeah, I'd be pissed too!!! :angry:
$20 for it at Goodwill sounds a bit pricey for them. didn't think they would know to upcharge for the top loading model.

My plan was to clean them up, keep one for myself, and then sell the rest one eBay. Man could I have made a nice profit on them.

Well, considering that they wanted $100 for the N64 with two crappy wrestling games, and wanted $70 for a model two Sega Genesis with no games at all... Oh, yeah, not to mention the fact that they want $7 each for the Super Mario / Duck Hunt carts and $25 for a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 2... That particular Goodwill store sucks. The only reason I even stop in there anymore is because when they get something weird and don't know what it is, it usualy ends up rather cheap. It would be like, "What is this Jaguar CD thing, Oh, wait, that says Atari on it. Okay, we price Atari systems at $20 to $30, so put it out for $25." Or, "What's this Turbo Xpress thing? It looks like a Gameboy. Well, we sell Gameboys for $40, so put it out for that much."

Back