got broadband today....

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
k, I got broadband today and I finally got it to work k. Well I can only get it to work through USB. It will not for the love of god connect through my ethernet card. Any settings in 2k pro that could be making it so it wont connect? It can tell that a device is present (light turns on) but it wont connect when the MSN tries to get it to connect. Wont even use IE :-\. Could this be a faulty cable or what? I rlly have no idea what it is so any advice would help....

What kind of broadband (cable, dsl, satellite etc. etc.)?

And IIRC, USB is the worst way to go. If you can somehow get it to connect through the Ethernet card you might get better results. Try going through Ethernet and releasing and renewing your IP.

I think 2k is the same as XP:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew (all at command prompt)

Make sure DHCP is enabled in your settings.

DSL, what's DHCP and how do I enable it?

Explain that releasing/renewing thing a lil more if u can...it would be much appreciated :).

I believe (and by far am no expert at this since I have cable and not dsl) but dsl needs to "dial in" so to speak. It has a username and password things for it. Or at least that's how I understand it for DSL, could be completely wrong.

Try going to your providers website. They normally have detailed instructions for setting the thing up in various OS'.

It varies a TON between providers and also implementation! So! My advice is to give none, except call your provider and find out what ALL the settings are supposed to be, and if you need software or not. I say this because yes, some DSL providers are gay and you have to "dial-up", and some of them use proprietary software to do this. Like Verizon in some places. He's right that USB isn't your ideal solution, and if you can get the right info and set it up with ethernet, do it.

Note that this is not a limitation of DSL. DSL can be just as always-on and hassle-free as cable. But the example above is what Verizon makes my brother use. Gay PPPoE setup. However, it appears that you can do away with this hassle on your PC, by putting the dialing burden on a PPPoE capable router. But that'd mean you'd have to use a router, and if you're not using more than one PC/internet-enabled device, don't. Routers give you an indirect connection. They tightened internet security at my friend's school, so now I can't send files to him over AIM from behind my router. But I tested it without the router, and it works fine - we're both "passive" connections. I've yet to find a good solution, forwarding and even DMZ seems to have no effect. Sorry for getting OT...

Do you have to use a program on your pc when you turn it on to connect to the internet? or does it work as soon as you turn your pc on? (in other words does your dsl require you to log in?) If yes, then you have dialup dsl.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Oct 29, 2003 @ 12:02 AM

Explain that releasing/renewing thing a lil more if u can...it would be much appreciated :).

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.

It's the protocol by which you are assigned an IP address. It's what's used if you do not have a static IP.

To release and renew your IP, go to the command prompt either through Start>Run>CMD or Start>Accessories>Command Prompt. Once there, type ipconfig /release. After it's done type ipconfig /renew. If in your connection settings it is not set to obtain an IP using DHCP you'll run into problems here.

So...

Go to Network Connections. Right click on the connection that was made for your DSL. Click properties. Then select Internet Protocol and click properties. Make sure it's set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"

You might need to create an entirely new connection and tell it you want to use the Ethernet card instead of USB. That might be the problem right there with not being able to use it.

I don't know if this helps at all or not, but it's not like I didn't try ;)

edit: (and like Rabbit said, you might need a PPPOE client. If so, you won't get assigned an IP automatically unlessl you sign on with the client, even if Windows is set up correctly to obtain one)

Actually I mentioned PPPoE. But he apparently doesn't have that - so just do what I said and call them. Get all the settings.

they told me "there should be no settings" I put my network back to regular settings. They said try reinstalling the drivers (I dun think I ever even installed any, just stock windows ones) and that sumtimes helps. SO, I am gunna try that, and also a new cable (the one they sent could be bad?)

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker+Oct 29, 2003 @ 03:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Resident_Lurker @ Oct 29, 2003 @ 03:55 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-BJammzz@Oct 29, 2003 @ 12:02 AM

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.

It's the protocol by which you are assigned an IP address. It's what's used if you do not have a static IP.

To release and renew your IP, go to the command prompt either through Start>Run>CMD or Start>Accessories>Command Prompt. Once there, type ipconfig /release. After it's done type ipconfig /renew. If in your connection settings it is not set to obtain an IP using DHCP you'll run into problems here.

So...

Go to Network Connections. Right click on the connection that was made for your DSL. Click properties. Then select Internet Protocol and click properties. Make sure it's set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"

You might need to create an entirely new connection and tell it you want to use the Ethernet card instead of USB. That might be the problem right there with not being able to use it.

I don't know if this helps at all or not, but it's not like I didn't try ;)

edit: (and like Rabbit said, you might need a PPPOE client. If so, you won't get assigned an IP automatically unlessl you sign on with the client, even if Windows is set up correctly to obtain one) [/b][/quote]

What skin is that and can I get one like it for 2k because it is teh win

It's the offcial Nintendo of Europe Gameboy Advance skin.

The package (part1,part2) contains Pikmin, Mario Sunshine, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, and Zelda: Wind Waker themes.

Download now. Very well done themes. (I think you can use it with Windowblinds on 2k)

Back on topic, give us an update Bjammzz.

OK, your DSL connection works through USB but not through the built-in Ethernet port. Sounds to me like your onboard LAN drivers simply 1. aren't installed or 2. disabled because of a problem. Therefore, your first stop should be DEVICE MANAGER.

If you're using Win2K or XP, a glance at the Event Viewer might give you some insight as well. Are there any reports of network adapters being released?

My computer is hooked up to the cable modem via built-in LAN and networked to my other machine through an USB-to-Ethernet adapter. The network connection associated with the USB adapter is dynamically enabled and disabled by WinXP whenever the secondary PC (which has a PCI network card installed) is turned on or off. Perhaps for some reason your connection to the built-in LAN port is disabled and just needs to be enabled...

Back